VIN NUMBERS AND PLATE INFO

Hey guys! I havent been here in a loooong time but IM BACK now! I was just reading some other forums and had a question about the plate under the hood with the codes on it. I am going to give you all the numbers on the plate and also my VIN number. My 71 SS has the shock protectors, air ride system, fender emblems, rubber bumper strip and black paint stripe on trunk. I dont think it has the original motor coz it is a small block 350. I can get the block codes if needed. I sincerely believe I got a REAL SS, but I'm trying to de-code these plate numbers and figure out what they are! Thanks in advance for all the help!

plate reads as: ST 7113857L01100

TR 708 43 43

SC024751 200605

VIN # - 138571L103246

Cowl Tag:

ST = Style

71 = 1971

1 = Chevrolet

38 = Concours Estate, 8 Cylinder

57 = 2 Door Coupe (Monte Carlo)

L = Van Nuys, CA Assembly Plant

01100 = Unit Number or Fisher Body Sequence Number

BDY = Body

TR = Trim

708 = Black Rapallo Cloth Bucket Seats

43 43 = Lime Green Body, Lime Green Roof

There should have been a two digit, one letter code on the third line which is your assembly date given in month, week format. Try going back and looking at the cowl tag again.

SC024751 200605 = Assembly Plant Codes, which we have no way of deciphering.

VIN 138571L103246:

1 = Chevrolet

38 = Concours Estate, 8 Cylinder

57 = 2 Door Coupe (Monte Carlo)

1 = Year of Production, i.e. 1971

L = Van Nuys, CA Plant

103246 = Sequential Production Number (not to be confused with the Fisher Body Sequence Number on the cowl tag)

There's no way to tell from the VIN or the cowl tag whether your car is an SS or not, unless it was built in Canada. Canadian built Montes will have the "Z" code on the cowl tag; US built cars do not.

- Nate

And of course, it goes without saying - start searching (& hope to find) the build sheet!

Or locate the original owner wink

Good Luck to you!!