BBC AFR cylinder heads

Heckeng

Has anyone out there used any of the AFR heads on their BBC? They have awesome flow numbers, but I wonder if they are exagerated. I'd like to see someone who has real world experience with them!

I'm using the 315 CNC version on my 454/489. I made 451hp at 5400rpms and 440ft of torque at 4000rpms at the wheels with a dual plane intake, 10:1 compression, 850 carb, roller rockers, and a 23/236 - 610/610 roller cam. That's around 560-570hp at the flexplate, but I was hoping for at least 600hp. After some research and discussions with both my dyno shop and Don(Rice Racing)I've determined that my cam was to small and I really needed a single plane intake. Those two changes are in process right now. I can let you know how big of a power increase I get. I can say that even where I was at before that the AFR heads with the right combo make a lot of power. On street tires I've had traction issues from day one. I can melt them down at a stop, or any where up to 45mph. The AFR's are a handsome looking piece as well. It seems as most people east of the Mississippi prefer Dart Pro One heads where as those on the west side seem to prefer AFR. I did research before I bought my heads and asked around. Everything I found out came up roses so I took a chance on AFR. The real test will be when I take my Monte down the track with set of slicks on her to really be able to tell if the thousands of dollars I have invested in my power train will pay off.

Greg

Sweet. I have been drewling over the 305 with cnc chamber, or the fully cnc'd 315 for a long time. They seem to have such high rataed flow for the size of the runners, I would think they'd be excellent for a street or race engine. I like the Darts too, but they don't seem to have as good of flow. I definitely trust them a little more though just because they've been around for so long.

Your numbers look pretty good, I'll be curious to see what happens when you put the bigger cam and intake on.

Anybody else out there use them?

Several times. Work well no quality problems. The price at $3100+ per pair is a lot! The flow #'s on a 454 won't be what is on the web sight. Look at the fine print beside the chart, those

#'s were on a 4.6" bore fitting! Knock about 20 cfm per step from int and exh #'s and you'll be close for the 4.25" bore range. That will leave you with a peak of 367 and 295 peak flow for $3200.

The canfield/jegs heads with the 310cc runners run with in 10 cfm of the cnc'd AFR's on the 4.25" bore range with out porting!! Plus the Jegs version comes with cnc chambers for way less money! I can port them to easily gain 10+ cfm across the board for $350. Even if you get the solid roller set up thats around #2300 total for the same performance,flow and a casting that is just as durable. The hyd roller,flat tappet set up would be around $2100 ported. So you are looking at $800 to $1000 saved that could be used elsewhere!

Don't get caught up in the hype and spend more than necessary for a given performance level. I have used the canfeilds/jegs head on combo's that made 800 hp, without port work on a 13.1 comp bracket engine that was spun no higher than 7500 rpms. Have ported them and run them on pump gas 468's at 750hp in the same rpm range. Without any power adders!

Yes the AFR's can do the same thing, just for more money! The savings could be used for beter pistons or rods or valvetrain up grades ETC ETC.

Don

Thanks Don, I figured there was something goofy with those high numbers. I'll have to do some looking at those Canfields, not that I'll get any any time soon. I'm always revising the "dream engine" like the other thread! I had thought for a long time that AFR had some secret to porting or something, turns out it's that 4.6" bore fitting! Maybe by the time I'm ready, they will come down in price to match the competition and I'll reconsider them.

Don's putting a set of canfield 310cc (JEGS version)on for me, I would take a good them, that's alot of money that could pay for, cam, intake, and lifters

what intake are you looking at?

Are the "Jegs" heads, actually made by Canfield or something? I didn't see Canfields listed separately on their online page. I may keep my iron heads too to save cost. Don't know.

Per Don's recommendation, I have been looking at the Vr Jr.

Cam wise, I have been debating keeping my HR (I know, your blood pressure is rising Don!) or going with a Voodoo solid roller 237/243 @0.050".

I've also looked at those Manley rods, and would probably keep my stock forged Crank.

This is all down the road a little though, lack of funding right now. Just last year, I had head work, cam, lifters, intake, carb, converter done.

I've been sanding and had the car at a friends house to do some body work for a long time too. I need some drive time. Not having my car good to go has given me too much time to drewl over new parts!