Vinyl Tops!!!

Nikki

I LOVE the vinyl top look, and foud some on ebay and another on opgi. I cant find anyone in EP ( el paso tx) to install it! anyone here from ep? Have any of you installed your vinyl tops yourselves? If so, do u have any pointers/tips u can share with me? so i paint it all first and then put the vinyl top or the vinyl top first then paint? what kind of adhesive and where did u get ur top? thanks guys

Here the way my started out 008-1.jpg the whole car was paint smoke grey for a 88 Chevy very nice metal fake color. We got lucky and brought a 70 parts car($1200) which had power windows, power door locks and at the time a 27 year old vinyl top, which we peeled right off on a hot sunny Saturday. To this date(3 paint changes later) it still has that same vinyl top 021-1.jpg All we used was 3m spray can glue on the under side of the top let it tack up and on the roof skin as well and tried to hit all of the holes in the vinyl top to the studs and only missed 3. A tip to install one is put the vinyl on the roof spray the 3m glue and work one side at a time.

I put a half vinyl top on a '77 Monte back in the 80's. I was very surprised how easy it was. It came out looking like the factory. If you can let the material get warm in the sun that will help. Then, don’t pull it too tight. It will shrink in cold weather and pull loose around the edges if it’s too tight. Use 3M adhesive and allow it to get tacky before laying it down on the top.

Yes never drive it in rain, don't spray water on the top to let it sit.

Seriously I think if it is well sealed with an epoxy primer and then painted and it is dried and not left to sit and stay WET for long periods there would be much less chance of that happening.

There are all kinds of corrosion proofing methods, but if there is any rust at all it seems to find a way..but if SEALED it can't get oxygen so cannot spread.

Maybe others have tried things like POR or ?? but vinyl tops have been an issue for a long time with holding moisture and rusting.

Well what I am hoping for is for vinyl wrap to develop more. I know currently a velvet wrap is being tested on its durability. Maybe one day they make it similar to texture and feel of the real thing.

Mike57 and I installed mine. You want to lay the vinyl on top of the car for several days to get the shipping wrinkles out and if you can put in the sun before installing. Clean the roof area with a good wax/degreaser to get any oils etc. off the surface. Mark the center of your roof and the center of the top with a magic marker. Fold the top in half and lay on the roof. Use the 3M spray adhesive on both the roof and the top about 1 foot out front your centerline mark. Let it tack up for several minutes then line up the marks and slowly roll the top onto the roof while pulling the top and pushing out the air. Use the small paint rollers available at your local hardware store to roll the top. Do small sections at a time, like 2 square feet. If you get an air pocket underneath it you can pull it back up to work it out. Keep working your way from the center to the edge of the roof. Repeat for other side. When you get to the edges you will need to trim the vinyl with a razor knife. Using contact cement, apply to the edges and press into place.

You want to stretch the top as you install but not to the point where you distort the vinyl. You'll have more time waiting for the glue to tack up than anything else. Take your time and you will be surprised how easy it is to do.

If you do paint the roof before you install the top don't buff the finish. Even with a clear coat you may need to scuff the finish to get a good adhesion to the the roof.

Mike and I helped Jack (papacoop60) install his. The roof had clear coat and was a PITA to get the vinyl to stick properly. It kept lifting.

We used 3 cans of spray adhesive on mine. Stock up before you start.

Good luck if you do this and if you have any questions just ask.