454 oil pan gasket fitment

V8Freak

so i have a question, i am replacing my oil pan on my 70 454. It had a 4 pc cork gasket on it and im putting a one piece blue felpro on. Im having trouble it seems the felpro is thicker on the front and back which keeps the pan from wanting too sit properly along the sides, My option is too order a 4 pc cheapy or figure out what is going on. Im just wondering if anyone else has run into this? the felpro is id say twice as thick at front and back

The best way to install a pan with these one piece gaskets is by this method.

First make sure you have the correct part number. The front and back rail are thicker than the four piece gasket set. Second, get just a little bit longer bolts for the corners(not necessarily the final bolt application). "On the four corners only", draw the pan towards the block evenly until the "final" rail bolts can be installed. After the rail bolts have been installed, you can go back and remove the corner bolts and install the proper legnth bolts for the final application. I have done a good number of these one piece gaskets and they work perfectly but the pan must be drawn evenly to the block by the four corners first. Bottomline, the gasket and pan must mate to the engine block as evenly as possible to eliminate leakage later.

The front and back rail gasket portion will bulge but that is okay as long as it is even. Hope that helps -Dave

The best way to install a pan with these one piece gaskets is by this method.

First make sure you have the correct part number. The front and back rail are thicker than the four piece gasket set. Second, get just a little bit longer bolts for the corners(not necessarily the final bolt application). "On the four corners only", draw the pan towards the block evenly until the "final" rail bolts can be installed. After the rail bolts have been installed, you can go back and remove the corner bolts and install the proper legnth bolts for the final application. I have done a good number of these one piece gaskets and they work perfectly but the pan must be drawn evenly to the block by the four corners first. Bottomline, the gasket and pan must mate to the engine block as evenly as possible to eliminate leakage later.

The front and back rail gasket portion will bulge but that is okay as long as it is even. Hope that helps -Dave

ditto That is how I did mine and I would stay with the one piece.

God I love this site lol, thanks Dave and everyone else ill give that a shot and see how it goes on sat. Man this cars taking forever things that I think should be a cake walk are a pain and I've been getting the odd wrong part through my build so lately if things don't go 100% I question weather it's even the right part but I did check the part nuner and the jobber even sent me a second one too compare. Ill let you know how it goes

Couple things to keep in mind. No RTV or other sealers should be used with a one piece(at least with the Felpro brand). Also, if the block is upside down right now this will be the best way to install the gasket. Place the gasket in place, on the block. It should sit on the block perfectly. Place the pan onto the gasket. The gasket is made such that the pan will not fit all the way down against the gasket. There will probably be a 1/2" to 3/4" inch gap along the rails. When you draw the pan to the block by the pan bolts, that's when the seal is created. That's why it needs to be evenly drawn to the block. Good luck with it. - Dave

So I got it all in and it's not sealing properly at the timing cover its like the gasket is so thick around the crank it won't let the front corners mate, I took a few pics how do I post too this thread?

All bolts ate torqued too 100 in pounds which is what fel pro basically calls for the two little bolts in the timing cover are at 80 inch pounds which is even more then it should be so I don't wanna go any further with my luck