Power steering...

I thought I read about this on an earlier post, but can't seem to find it now. Maybe someone can provide the link.

My 71 SS has power steering...sounds great right? The issue is, it seems way to easy to steer, I mean, there is absolutely no resistance at the steering wheel. My personal preference is to have a bit of resistance or "feel" when driving but this seems like my grandmothers buick LeSabre, you know the kind, with the 24" diameter wheel that you need to look thru to see the road kicking.

I thought I had heard about a restrictor or pressure regulator that would help bring back the feel factor. As far as I know, the car has all original equipment. I have 3 complete turns lock to lock. Any suggestions or I'm I just too strong for my steering wheel? nutz

Thanks

Scott

I just found the thread I was thinking about. Only about 4 pages back. I was searching the archives, that's why I didn't see it earlier.

Is my power steering pump "overboosted"? And will a pressure regulator kit solve my problem.

Scott

Scott- I think you are talking about a thread I started. The pressure regulator is a cheap, quick way to reduce the twitchy feeling. It does make a nice difference.

That said, really the best thing to do is to get it aligned with as much caster as possible. You want to find someone that knows what they are doing, not a "toe and go" shop!

Here is the kit- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-899001/

It is really easy to install.

Yesterday I installed the pressure reducing kit on my power steering pump. I refilled the pump, started the car and now have no power steering at all. I lifted the front end and cycled the steering a few times back and forth to be sure the pump was primed, but when I lowered it again, no power.

The original set up had 1 shim installed (1200 psi), I removed that shim, per instructions, then installed 4 new shims. According to the instructions, I should have about 850 psi.

Could my valve be sticking or do I need to remove a shim or two?

Power steering doesn't need to be bled to remove the air somehow...does it?

Guess I'll be pulling it all apart again. frown

Thanks

Scott

Now reading that kit it talks about reducing the PSI for a Ford Rack and Pinion. It could be you have removed to much PSI dropping it from 1200 PSI to 850 PSI is now giving you a manual style box. My stock power steering box is just like the newer cars.