BooHoo on the instrument cluster , Help please

leelee

The gas gauge moved when we turned the key on but went waey over to the right, now doesn't move. Speed Ometor is on 110 What can we check.

About 7 years ago i checked the fuel sending unit and it worked then.

SLOW DOWN! kidding, Many questions on fuel gauge problems on the boards try searching for it and I believe when it goes to past full, the wire is probably unhooked someplace. I'm sure someone will chime in about this.

The speedometer being stuck on 110 may have a bent needle or was damaged by some sort of impact. Does the needle look bent or hung up? Try beating on the dash to free it.

Goof luck!

Bruce

The fuel gauge problem.. check your grounds. Speedometer problem I'd say the needle is keyed-wrong onto shaft, or as Bruce has pointed out some sort of impact may of moved it. Is it resting on 110 MPH?

smile Yes, i do ask too many questions at once. I don't think the hand is hung up. I had the cluster out and took the cover off and polished it up checked the hands then.

There are two ground wires that need to be connected over to the left of the cluster. One is connected to the headlight switch and a metal strap, i have to figuire out where to attach.

would that have somethig to do with it?

THERE I GO AGAIN, SORRY

First off the "slow down" was in reference in going 110 MPH and I would get all the grounds hooked up. You could hook a jumper wire to the ground wire and clip it to a GOOD ground to check that very quickly. I also agree the needle may have spun on the shaft.

Good Luck (goof luck, was a typo, sorry)

Bruce

Removing the cluster & taking the cover off might of moved the speedo needle out of wack. The instrument cluster is very delicate, specially the clock & gas gauge. Good luck.. and keep us posted with your findings, it's good knowing our efforts don't go unwarranted. grin

How do you key the needle to the shaft?

Have a look at this linky , it may help? Now if the needle is resting at 110MPH, I'd say it was impacted in a way where it was forced beyond its normal attitude, you can move the needle carefully by rotating it or removing and setting it on its normal resting point O-MPH. What I've done in the past is to make a plastic drive by squaring it (whatever you can find to fit, I used a piece of plastic out of a model kit) and making it fit in the speedo drive, and turning it with a cordless drill. In doing so you can get the speedo to move and go back to its resting point. Make sense? I think Dennis/MCfan has a great write-up on the instrument cluster, he may be of some help.