Ignition wont unlock?

ChiefJones

I am just finishing up on getting my 70 started up after a huge amount of work and last night I turned the key to the "Lock" position and now today it wont unlock, took apart everything but nothing effects it. I have a new spare lock cylinder and keys but the old one doesn't seem to be removable unless you get it to the run position... IDEAS??

Try turning the col close to the dash towards the passenger side and see if it will unlock. Also double check that it is in park and is in the lock position. If you turn the key to far you would be in the acc side of the switch.

I will try that, but from playing with the new lock cylinder I have it appears that the key has just quit activating the part inside the cylinder that Unlocks it. The last 1/4 inch of putting the key in seems to depress something with the tip of the key that unlocks it and mine just quit. I need to figure out how to get the lock cylinder out now without being able to get the key to the run position.

Sometimes there is pressure in the steering linkage that is trying to rotate the steering wheel...the key switch doesn't want to turn out of the lock position with that load against it.

Make sure you try rotating the steering wheel both left & right as you try turning the key, it might unload the system and let you turn the key.

I used to see this all the time if a car was parked against a curb, or if the wheels were turned at the moment of shutdown. I think the tires are being asked to turn, but are still in solid contact with the ground...the rubber in the tires is flexed and at that moment you shut off the car and engaged the steering lock.

Anyway, try to muscle the steering wheel one way or the other as you turn the key.

I just sealed my shifter hole, changed my turn signal unit. Put everything back together & the key would not lock! Took it all apart, nothing in the way? 1st prob; Rod that connects to cylinder was off 1 notch. Causing the ignition control to not recognize lock position. 2nd with no steering wheel on the rod pushes column housing up, try holding it down the turning housing to the right. "I believe" Im good, now hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help from everyone!! The final problem was just that the Lock Cylinder had failed. I had a heck of a time getting it out because non of the places where you release the cylinder from the colum were open. they all still had the "Flash" in them. I was worried about just starting to try punching out aluminum but finally found some photos online that helped me determine the right spot. Once I got the old one out the new one went in with ease and that was that....Thanks Again!!!