G67 Auto Load Level Compressors.....Date Coded?

jays55

I made an interesting discovery today. While cleaning a LL Compressor, I noticed what appears to be a date code on the pump housing (on flat surface opposite the filter inlet). It's 4 numbers similar to the date coding on other parts, such as quadrajet carbs, but with a space between the 3rd & 4th number. I have four compressors, 2 short and 2 long, and they all have a code, but with some minor variations. If they are date codes similar to those used on other components, they would break down this way.....

Long tanks;

252 4 (252nd day of '64)

010-9 (10th day of '69)

Short tanks;

345-9 (345th day of '69)

340 66 (340th day of '66) the only one with a 2 digit "year". I was told it was a Cadillac pump when purchased.

I believe all these dates would fall within the range of years that the G67 option was offered.

If these are in fact date codes, it adds another level of accuracy to a "numbers matching" car.

I recently purchased two of the units, even though they were labeled as 1960s compressors, because they were priced right and complete with mounting brackets.....always good for parts, right? It turns out one of them is the 345-9 short unit and the brackets are correct for a Monte SS454!

This may help clarify the correct length question posed in another post here......

Jay,

I have two.

For my 1970 SS the air tank measures 8 1/8 inches, as you have measured yours. The date code is 290-9

For my 1971 SS the air tank measures 8 1/8 inches, again as you have measured yours. The date code is 079-0

Great info as I was not aware of the date code on the head.

Posted this on your other thread as well