SS steering wheel and column

Andy Gargagliano

I was reading some of the old topics in the 454 forum the other day.I read that all SS cars came with black steering wheels and columns.I have a 1970 SS454 Monte that has everything it is supose to have.It has the SS454 emblems on the lower front fenders.It has the 454 engine,turbo 400 trans,12 bolt rear end,air compressor under the hood,all plastic air lines,clips,and brass fittings,leaveler control arm attached to the rear control arm,1 1/8 sway bar up front(I measured It),rear sway bar,shock protector plates,Original G70x15 spare tire in the trunk and even has all the factory exhaust hangers.BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE A BLACK STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN?The car is dark Forrest green with green vynal top and interior.The steering wheel and column are green.It has a bench seat,column shift no guages.The car does not have a build sheet,it was built in flint.It came with the original window sticker,but is not in the greatest shape.It shows the Z part of the code and then there is a whole in the sheet and then a partial word (ment) and then the price of 420.25.SO it reads like this 6Z (where hole is) ment----420.25.I know this was the right price for the SS454 equipment.THe person I buoght the car from gave me the name of the original owner when I was thinking about buying the car who lived in Minnisota.I took a chance and called information and his number was listed.I called him up and told him I was thinking about buying the SS454 monte he use to own.He was more than happy to talk about the car,I talked to him two times for a total of about 5 hours.He told me that he and his brother went and bought the car at Muskatell Chevrolet in Fargo North Dakota in 1970 for his wife who loved and drove the car untill it was parked in the barn in1982.It sat in the barn untill 1992 when he sold it to the guy I bought it from.He told me the entire history of the car and that it was a true SS and that was all I need to hear and I bought it.Any ideas why my steering wheel and column are not black?Can any one fill in the missing information on my window sticker.Thanks andys70SS.

I believe that the SS454 option group was typically listed on build sheets and window stickers as "Z20 - Monte Carlo SS Equipment", with the "Z20" being the RPO (regular production option) code. Since it's a "Z"-code option, it should be listed after the other options.

I've heard that about the steering wheel columns, too, but there sometimes seems to be some confusion. Mine has a black interior so I've never researched it. Maybe someone else might know the answer. It sounds like a great car you've got there, Andy. smile

Dave

My 70 SS has a blue interior with black column and wheel. Anything could happen on the production line. It's possible a green one was put in because of a mistake in routing parts.

If the right part isn't there, use the part you have. You don't stop the line.