Air Cleaner For 70 SS

ssmonte70

Can someone let me know what other air cleaners will fit the 70 Monte SS 454 with a Qjet carb. It is obvious that an original air cleaner may be/is impossible to find. Would another air cleaner from another car/truck work for this setup? Any help would be appreciated.

TAG

That's kind of a tough question, but I'd bet that an air cleaner for a '70 Chevelle SS396 or SS454 would be the same, though, as long as it's not the setup used for a "Cowl Induction"-equipped car. I thought that the '70 402 (aka "Turbo-Jet 400") big block air cleaners were the same as the '70 454 air cleaners, too, with the large, rectangular-shaped snorkel openings.

Since there was such a high number of '70 Chevelle SS cars produced it may be easier to find an air cleaner that would be described as "correct" for them - and again, I'd bet that they'd be the same thing as for the Monte Carlo SS454. Just make sure it's the closed air cleaner and not for the "Cowl Induction" setup. I'd bet that El Caminos would have been the same deal, too.

I'm not proof-positive on all of this, but from pictures that I've seen and from a logical standpoint it makes sense that what I've described would be the case.

Hope that this helps a little,

Dave

Truth be told, check out a same year Caprice, Impala big block. I found a 1971 Impala big block in a junkyard and the mouth at the end of the air cleaner inlet (snout) was the same as the Monte big block.

Dave--Thanks for helping. I am currently looking on Ebay or Evil Bay as some people would say. Anyway, I am looking thru Chevelle, El Camino, and even Caprice/Impala to find one. Thanks again--

TAG

ssmonte, I found the correct air cleaner on Ebay for $5. It was listed as being for a '75 passenger or truck with 454 which jives with the GM sticker that was on it. I had the seller take measurements of the snorkel length and diameter of the inlet opening before buying, though, and it was a match. I'll look for the part number on that sticker if I can remember. I think I just ran a search on Ebay for “454 air cleaner”.

As for the air cleaners used on ’70 Chevelles, they’re either cowl induction or open air cleaners (see pics). You could use the base of the air cleaners used in conjunction with cowl induction, but the opening of the air cleaner snorkel is round instead of oval and would be incorrect.

Cowl Induction:

32379967.jpg

Open Air Filter:

30415422.jpg

Nate-Thanks for the help. I didn't think an air cleaner would be that difficult to find. I'll keep looking as now I have another search to try and find one. Thanks for the help.

TAG

ssmonte, I sent you a PM, so check your mail. I believe I found your air cleaner on Ebay and I sent you the link. Not a bad price, but needs restoring. Hurry and check your mail before someone uses "Buy-It-Now" and it disappears...

- Nate

Nate-Thanks. I have been watching this on Ebay as well. This is the 2nd time he has listed this item. We have emailed each other as I am leary of his shipping charges. $17.00 not hardly. I sell/buy on Ebay everyday and he is upcharging his shipping. I am in constant contact with him so if it doesn't sell we have a deal already made.

Thanks--TAG