What motors can I take parts from?

Super Brian

WHich bolts? The valve cover bolts? There's no specific bolts in my opinion. 1/4" works fine. The 350 was cast and built at the Tonawanda, NY engine plant. Talking with the retired production people who worked there when our year engines were made, they made sure they never ran out of bolts for engine finishing. This was accomplished by having one employee who would go to all the local hardware stores in the area and buy the hardware that was needed when supplies got short.

They did this because they did not want to shut down the production line because they were missing misc. hardware. That from Fran Preve, who made his first presentation at the 1986 National Chevelle Owners Convention in Peoria, IL. THe funny thing was he said the Corvette guys didn't like to talk with him because their engines "were special built". He would laugh and say "when we build a 350-270hp small block, we don't know if it is going into a Chevelle, Nova, Camaro or Corvette. Your engines are not special; they are small block Chevy's. Same thing with the LS-5 big blocks and Corvettes".

Yes, if you have to have the same year bolts, the SBC will work as a donor.

I took a tour of that plant when I went to general motors school in Clarence NY (buffalo) and watching the way they put them motors together its a wonder that any of them run. I actually saw a camshaft installed with a hammer the day I was there and a piston and rod assembly dropped on the floor then picked up and put in. So I dont think that bolts from a different motor will matter that much.