Fixing Chipped Paint with ....Nail polish??!!!

Greasy D

OK I know this is covered a bunch of times on the internet but I don't seem to see it on this site. I don't believe much I read on the rest of the net but this site hasn't steered me wrong yet. Here is the deal:

Painted the whole Monte back in March or April, base/clear urethane. Hung all the panels and closed the gaps as tight as I could without contact. Well a few months down the road had her parked sideways on a grassy hill and opened the passenger door to hear a dreaded metallic groan. Sure enough on the leading edge of the door was a chip down to the primer a little bigger then a tic tack candy. Didn't think the body would have flexed that much.

Here is my dilemma, I have plenty of base and primer to touch up but I used all of the clear on the final coat (looks bitchin). I called the paint shop and he said I'd need to buy a quart of the clear and activator (about $50). I only need about a 1/2 ounce. He also mentioned that "some guys" use an old trick of using a bit of clear nail polish. As he described the process I would lightly sand inside the chip, dab in a bit of primer and let dry for a day. Once dry I would dab in a bit of green base and let dry for several days in this cool weather. Then I dab in the nail polish and bring to a convex meniscus above the rest of the surface. Let dry for a few day then sand flush with a hard block and 2000 grit. Finish with a buffer.

Should I trust this guy on the nail polish? I have about 1000 hours into this body alone. I'd hate for the nail polish to make the situation worse. But it would be nice to save the $50 on the quart of clear that I don't need 98% of. These guys are a fairly reputable shop but that's the thing, they sell paint, they are not painters.

This is the brand of clear if it helps: http://highteckproducts.com/View-Product.aspx?group_id=60769

(not recommended unless you really like color sanding)

Thanks!