Stereo and Speakers

Gave up on the kick panel speakers...no way to effectively paint them to match the Sandlewood interior. The just wouldn't adhere to the ABS plastic. Besides you loose the vents when you install the kick panel speakers.

So, back to square 1. Want to keep the original AM radio and avoid cutting anything up. Has anyone installed a stereo in the glove compartment. Can you/How do you operate controls (what kind of i.e., remote). Does anyone make a bracket that allows the stereo deck to hide under the dash and swing out when needed?

How about speakers under the seats?

George

FullMonte, just had a basic stereo installed in my 72 while the interior was gutted. A few things I learned:

1) CD player will not fit in dash without cutting larger hole

2) Several AM/FM players ARE made that include CD remote heads (USA-1, Custom Autosounds, Kenwood) and fit the stock holes.

3) Custom Autosounds has a 3" speaker that WILL fit the stock locations. CARSInc @ $35/pair. Sound great for $35 speakers!

4) Of course, any 6x9's will fit on the package tray (might have to cut a "web" out of the way).

I went ahead and cut the dash, but you could easily mount a CD changer under the seat or in the trunk, and use one of the head units above. Also, I put a 140 watt amp in the trunk to power the 6x9's, leaving the 3" on the head unit so they wouldn't get too much power. Don't really know if it works that way, but it sounded like a good idea!

i made a kind of slide rail affair for my sony Xplode mp3 player that goes under the dash, the player is exposed all the time, but when i go to shows and i want stock judging, i just unplug the block connector on the back of the stereo, then just slide it off the rail, all that gets left behind is the flat plates that make the rail and i tuck any wiring up under the dash, i still have the original working FM/AM radio, Dont cut the dash, __YOU WILL COME TO REGRET IT__

tomorrow when its light, ill go take some pics to show you

jon smile.gif

I have a similar setup. I have my cd player mounted under ash tray. if i needed to take it out, i would just slide the cd player out, take off the mounting clips (2 small screws hold it on) and tuck the wires.

you said you have vents in your kick panels, just like i do.

try this - i was able to fit a 5 1/4 inch speaking inside each vent. i just popped off the vent cover, put the speaker inside (gotta keep the lower vent closed) and put the vent cover back on - and just like that i have invisible speakers with no cutting or modifications.

i haev 6X9s in the rear. hidden under the package tray.

I put a set of speakers in my kick panels. They were a pain. Because of the size of the magnets I had cut out part of the metal inner structure. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made custom panels to replace the lower panels. Mine do fit flush to the kick panels but I took hours to install. Monte

------------------

70 Monte Carlo. 355, 10.4 to 1, AFR 210's, 1 3/4" super comps, solid roller 585/597 260/266 @.050 on 112LSA, Edelbrock tunnel ram w/2 600 hp's, 4,000 stall, 4.11. 3800 lbs. 4000lbs with me in it, 12.4 @ 111 mph, 2.000 60' time, launching at 1/2 throttle for 60' to keep from spinning the tires. With that mph it should be between 11.8 and 12.2 once I get it to hook up. New Times coming for the new rear end set up and 200 shot of nitrous.

montesig.JPG

Monte.....did you install the speakers between the vent and the door or install them inside the vent like "Fatso"?

Fatso....(Sorry; sounds kinda rude). What sized speakers will fit and how did you secure them?

And delmonte.....I am interested in the "rail system" you described. Thanks for sending the pictures.

I looked at Crutchfield for a CD deck. The selection is a bit overwhelming. I am looking for a modestly priced unit (around $150) that fits the classic look and can be upraded. What do you Monte owners use?

or you could consider somthing like I wound up.. the previous owner was going to install a center console from a 3rd gen firebird in the car b4 I bought it.. when I bought the car, he left the console with it.. so I used it.. and it works well.. it's just sitting there at the minute, it's not secured.. but it's functional, and soon the floor **** will be too smile.gif

let me see if I can remember how to post a pic..

this pic was taken just after I got the car...

ah here we go smile.gif

I'll post a url, since it's kind large in dimensions (small file size tho)

http://home.tir.com/~tknights/Monte/Interrior/interrior.jpg

Nothing beats a picture to help understand what you all are saying. I don't have the bucket seats, so the console is not really an option. The speakers in the kick panel grills are still intriguing. Any problem with moisture getting to them. The damper that opens and closes on mine is pretty rusty in spots. Water is getting in there somewhere, and I don't want to expose the speakers.

Thanks again for describing your various set-ups. It really helps expand the mind.

Mine are in the kick panels. I dont remember thier being a vent in them. I would have to check. If you want a photo of them I will get the car out of storage and could e-mail you a photo. If so e-mail me with your address. Monte

------------------

70 Monte Carlo. 355, 10.4 to 1, AFR 210's, 1 3/4" super comps, solid roller 585/597 260/266 @.050 on 112LSA, Edelbrock tunnel ram w/2 600 hp's, 4,000 stall, 4.11. 3800 lbs. 4000lbs with me in it, 12.4 @ 111 mph, 2.000 60' time, launching at 1/2 throttle for 60' to keep from spinning the tires. With that mph it should be between 11.8 and 12.2 once I get it to hook up. New Times coming for the new rear end set up and 200 shot of nitrous.

montesig.JPG

pictures still pending, things are good, just had a change of work schedule and time got scarce, but i shall up the pics soon

jon smile.gif

If you are looking to restore your orig. delco radio this is the only guy I found who will restore it using orig. mechanicals. He can also add reverb, inputs for 10 disc changers etc., or outputs for amplifiers. This will allow you to bypass tube amp and utilize a new low THD amplifier.

This guy he can restore performance of your orig. radio and give you the ability to add-on inputs/outputs to take advantage of todays digital equipment while keeping original radio looking totally orig. I had him restore mine... and to play CD from changer you simply move AM/FM switch to the middle.

Warning it is a bit pricey. Prices are listed on his site. Site is very descriptive of services etc.

Heres how to find his email address should you have any questions not answered on site. Go to website below. On website you will see a window with a pull down arrow labeled "TONY MAC PAGES" Click on down arrow and then select COTTONFIELDS RECORDING STUDIO. His email address is listed there. He is very quick to respond to emails.

Here's site http://www.wonderbarman.com