Where to take Engine Temp. Reading for Electric Fans

201fireman

I have a small block in my 72.  It has two electric fans and an electric Automater temp gauge.  The gauge has a sending unit and the fans have a sending unit.  Right now I have the sender for the fans in the PS head and the sender for the gauge in the back of the manifold by the distributor (just did the gauge one this spring).  I see some people putting them in the head and some in the manifold by the Tstat.  I am assuming I would want to put both sending units in either the manifold or heads and not one in each as it is now. My question is, what is the better spot?  I am guessing the heads would have exhaust heat that makes the area read hotter which would be in a sense, a false reading?

I believe I had the fans set to come on automatically at 205-210.  I also had an override switch so I had the ability to turn on the fans whenever I felt like it.  Came in handy many times.  (ie. after shutdown, the temps got higher than they should with the auto switch, etc.)  An override switch is a great safety net when it comes to electric fans. 

Re read your post.  I believe I had the sender to the gauge in the heads and the sender to the fans in the intake manifold.  Sorry, hope that helps. - Dave

My electric gauge in my car is connected near the thermostat and my fan has a probe that slides in the radiator fins, it is located nearest where the hose leaves the radiator heading to the thermostat.

I've always been told that the most accurate reading is next to the thermostat. That being said, I have my gauge hooked up next to the distributor in the manifold...it's just neater there and the gauge is just that a gauge...I watch it to see if there's any unusual changes in the temperature.

I have one of those thermal readers and the temperature is certainly a bit higher next to the thermostat... I think it was less than 10 degrees.

Steve