• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 201fireman

201fireman

• Members

• 211 posts
  • LocationAppleton Wisconsin

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

I have a small block in my 72.  It has two electric fans and an electric Automater temp gauge.  The gauge has a sending unit and the fans have a sending unit.  Right now I have the sender for the fans in the PS head and the sender for the gauge in the back of the manifold by the distributor (just did the gauge one this spring).  I see some people putting them in the head and some in the manifold by the Tstat.  I am assuming I would want to put both sending units in either the manifold or heads and not one in each as it is now. My question is, what is the better spot?  I am guessing the heads would have exhaust heat that makes the area read hotter which would be in a sense, a false reading?

#2 72MC

72MC

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,758 posts
  • LocationWaikoloa, Hawaii
  • Legal Name:Dave

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

I believe I had the fans set to come on automatically at 205-210.  I also had an override switch so I had the ability to turn on the fans whenever I felt like it.  Came in handy many times.  (ie. after shutdown, the temps got higher than they should with the auto switch, etc.)  An override switch is a great safety net when it comes to electric fans. 

Re read your post.  I believe I had the sender to the gauge in the heads and the sender to the fans in the intake manifold.  Sorry, hope that helps. - Dave

Posted Image

#3 502ci

502ci

MODERATOR in the 11's

• Moderators

• 15,437 posts
  • LocationRichfield, Ohio
  • Legal Name:Bill
  • Occupation:Union Electrician / Local 38/Commercial, Industrial

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:02 AM

My electric gauge in my car is connected near the thermostat and my fan has a probe that slides in the radiator fins, it is located nearest where the hose leaves the radiator heading to the thermostat.

Bill

MolĂ´n Labe

21979060051_large.jpg
11.80's at 114 mph, 0-60 in 3.34 sec.____
Click here to see my never ending project
__________Click here to hear it__________

#4 Monteman1971

Monteman1971

Chrome Member

• Members

• 6,224 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY
  • Legal Name:Stephen

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I've always been told that the most accurate reading is next to the thermostat. That being said, I have my gauge hooked up next to the distributor in the manifold...it's just neater there and the gauge is just that a gauge...I watch it to see if there's any unusual changes in the temperature.

I have one of those thermal readers and the temperature is certainly a bit higher next to the thermostat... I think it was less than 10 degrees.

Steve

monteman.com

gallery_121_7_5630.jpg

11.66 @ 116mph, 1.73 60'

panarama-vi.jpg
http://www.vimeo.com/4449804

#5 201fireman

201fireman

• Members

• 211 posts
  • LocationAppleton Wisconsin

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Ok, I have my gauge exactly where you do as well.  The sender for the fans is in the head and that's the one I am thinking of moving to the manifold by the Tstat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us