• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 wallaby

wallaby

Mechanical Visionary

• Members

• 6,402 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
  • Occupation:Heavy Equipment Transportation. ( ok, I'm a truck driver).

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

I don't want to hijack this post, I thought I'd just throw a question out while all the "know-it-alls" were here bench racing. It has been very interesting to listen in.
My engine has something that isn't right about it: I don't know what it is. In the past when I had something that needed an expert to look at, I had a great guy to take it to but in the last year he has retired and closed for good. It seems that everyone else wants to tune the car by following the directions on the underhood sticker!
I have a 468 with 9.25:1, iron oval port merlin heads and a Comp 268XEH. I had my HEI recurved and just instaled a stage II Q-jet from Carb Shop. I still have the stock intake and exhaust manifolds, and a stock converter. I was hoping I could build a combo that would have big torque numbers, and reach it's peak at my cruise rpm for mileage potential. (3.31 gear, 26"tire).
It seems to run pretty strong when it's wide-open, but cruise and idle seem difficult lately. This new carb is running much richer than the old one I was running, and to be honest the throttle response was much better with the old lean jetted carb. I just don't know what other adjustments I can make so this new carb will make my engine happy. Right now I have 17 degrees inital timing with about 36 total. Still I'm idling smooth at about 600, but only 15 inches vacuum. Full throttle seems ok, but it feels as if it's laboring otherwise.
A couple of years ago I had this combo on the dyno, and it said 365 RWHP. I was depressed because it was exactly what the sticker on my air cleaner said it would be.
Posted Image
Optional equipment shown.
Professional driver, closed doors. Do not attempt.

...from the point of ignition, to the final drive,
The point of the journey is not to arrive.

I'm anonymous and my name is Mark.

#42 wallaby

wallaby

Mechanical Visionary

• Members

• 6,402 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

I guess I did a great job of killing the discussion.
I think if I have time this weekend I might open up the engine and verify that my camshaft isn't going flat or something. I was hoping that this engine would be just "chomping at the bit" and would instantly react with added throttle, (it's not too responsive unless a lot of throttle is used) but maybe the cam is too big or lobe seperation too close or something?
From my description above, does anyone see a major fault? Why would my engine feel sluggish with a "proper" fuel mixture of 12-13:1 ?
Posted Image

#43 Sam (Bones)

Sam (Bones)

FGMCC Treasurer monteholic moderator

• Administrators

• 17,777 posts
  • LocationOrtonville,Mi
  • Legal Name:monteholic

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

that fuel ratio works for under power, but for cruising, it's to rich, 14.7:1 is the perfect ratio for cruising, 12-13 for power, try changing metering rods (bigger ones) for the part throttle, this will lean it out, 15" of vacuum isn't bad at idle with that cam, the last time I had mine running, I had 6" at idle, wonder what I'll have with the new one, going to use a vacuum pump for the brakes this time
Sam

70 & 71 montes

#44 wallaby

wallaby

Mechanical Visionary

• Members

• 6,402 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Whoa!
I really didn't want to tear into this new carb...it was supposed to be dialed in already for a performance street application. When it first arrived it was so bad I couldn't even get it to idle and it surged real bad up to about 40mph. That was enough for me and I sent it right back to them.
The second time around they had more than enough information about the intended use: right down to tire dia, cam specs, etc, etc. They sent the same carb back to me with no explanation as to what they found wrong or how they fixed it. When I called them on the phone they said they changed the power piston and the float level and now it "is dialed in to cruise at 12-13 to 1, and it pulled real hard on the dyno".
I pulled it open tonight to find they also had changed the rods & jets. It was setup with a 76 jet and a 44 rod. Their original receipt said different.
Anyway the rich end seemed ok, so I worked on leaning out the cruise setting with a larger rod. I used what I had on hand and installed a 50 rod and HOLLY CRAP! It made the cruise a little TOO lean, but the improvement was like night & day! The throttle response is incredible now and it pulls very strong at WOT. Maybe a size or two smaller on the rod and I'll have it dialed in.
Suddenly the topic on drag tires is pertinent. smile
Posted Image

#45 Sam (Bones)

Sam (Bones)

FGMCC Treasurer monteholic moderator

• Administrators

• 17,777 posts
  • LocationOrtonville,Mi
  • Legal Name:monteholic

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:08 AM

at least you know that you are getting close wink
Sam

70 & 71 montes