What axle ratios were available on SS454s?

72 LS5

I've only seen SS cars with either the 2.56 or 3.31 ratios. Was the 2.56 standard and everything else optional? What were the choices and were they extra cost items?

Thanks!

I believe you could order any ratio you wanted, it probably only cost you more if you ordered a posi, the rearend ratios I believe were 2.56, 2.73, 3.31,3.55,3.73,4.11.

fgmcc

72Yellow - I've never seen anything higher than 3.31 from the factory on these cars. Maybe since they are considered more of a luxury car, steep gears weren't offered...???

Edlipman - that's interesting. I have seen more 70s with the 2.56s.....

Anybody else see anything other than 2.56 or 3.31 on SS454s?

I got to thinking about that 1970 Car Life road test (see Monte Collectibles section) where they got 16.2 quarter mile times, and that seems to be the ET that gets published in all articles relating to the SS454 (Even though Motor Trend got 14.9 in 1971..). ANYWAY, in that article, they say the car had 2.73 gears, but I think it really had 2.56s.

I have that article in a box somewhere, but my point is, 36 years after the fact, I'm publically contesting the fact that the car really had 2.56s instead of 2.73s. Should I write a letter to the editor???? wink

the 16.2 test was probably made with a 2.56 geared car. the 14.9 test was probably made wirh a 3.31 geared car. the reason I said 3.55,3.73,4.11 were options is because I've seen several chevelle ss's with 3.73's ordered from the factory so surely it was an option for the monte ss's. 2 cents

Hi:

The 2:56 ratio is standard in 70

The 3:31 ratio is standard in 71

Posi is optional both years.

Hope this helps

Ed

Ed's got it right on what was standard. My '70 SS came with a 2.56 "one-legger" ... which is being replaced by 3.31 gears and a Detroit TrueTrac.

NateZ...

Let us (me) know how well that Detroit Tru-Trac works, as far as noise, smoothness, traction, etc...

I`ve been looking at that unit for awhile now but noone I know has installed one.

cool

Oh yeah I forgot about my ex-wife's 2nd cousin's uncle's step brother's step dad had a very rare 72 SS monte that came from the factory with 4.56 geared one legger. :rolleyes:lol:P

fgmcc

My 70 SS came with 2.56 open gears also. I am going to 373 and having a posi unit rebuilt. When I had the engine rebuilt the mechanic asked me what I had for a rearend in the car because the engine was not abused at all. HE guessed right with the 256 highway gears. Foolish

NateZ...

Let us (me) know how well that Detroit Tru-Trac works, as far as noise, smoothness, traction, etc...

I`ve been looking at that unit for awhile now but noone I know has installed one.

cool

Will do, 502. laugh I plan on giving it a real good workout and I'll post the results. At this point, I'm not sure when that'll be -- real life issues have forced me to put the Monte resto-mod on hold for awhile, but I hope to resume the work on the car in Sep. or Oct. At this point, it's about 85% complete -- still needs paint, the interior installed, the trim installed and a few other items like the rear-end work.

Maybe since they are considered more of a luxury car, steep gears weren't offered...???

I got to thinking about that 1970 Car Life road test (see Monte Collectibles section) where they got 16.2 quarter mile times, and that seems to be the ET that gets published in all articles relating to the SS454 (Even though Motor Trend got 14.9 in 1971..). ANYWAY, in that article, they say the car had 2.73 gears, but I think it really had 2.56s.

In original test articles from when the cars were new the Monte Carlo SS454s were referred to as "true GT cars", and I would think that it would be hard to truely "grand tour" for very long with a 4.11-geared car. I've seen it written somewhere that steeper gear ratios were optional, but am not sure if that was actually the case or not.

And yes, Motor Trend did test a '70 SS454 to the tune of 0-60mph in 7 seconds flat and a 14.9 quarter mile time in the November or December '69 issue where they compared the all-new Monte Carlo against the Grand Prix and Thunderbird. I believe that car had the 3.31 gears and they referred to the all-new Monte Carlo as being "an unqualified success". smile

Dave