Distributor Opinions Please

gprimm

Considering replacing my 15 month old MSD Streetfire, that left me on the side of the road with a bad Stator. Not an expert, but seeing that Summit has the Magnetic (traditional HEI), Davis Unified / Hall effect. Price differences from the basic HEI to the other two is quite significant.

Opinions please.

I have a David (DUI) that is on it's third engine and has about 140k on it. I did have to replace the module at around 80k. If I didn't have to make firewall mods for the room of the large cap on my 67 Firebird I would have them build a Pontiac version for me. Great people to work with. David

Skip White has a good rep but in my opinion the electronics cannot be that durable at that price. Of course at that price you could by a spare and keep that and the tools you need to swap it out in the car. Just hope it's not on a rainy/windy night. JMHO David

I have a David (DUI) that is on it's third engine and has about 140k on it. I did have to replace the module at around 80k. If I didn't have to make firewall mods for the room of the large cap on my 67 Firebird I would have them build a Pontiac version for me. Great people to work with. David

DUI here too, and I am so impressed with it that I will use them on all my cars. Outstanding customer service too.

Mike

D.U.I./Performance Distributors makes a great product. Everything I have gotten from them has been very high quality. They even curve the distributor to your setup you order it.

The advance curve is very important. NO OEM HEI has a good curve as-is. If you go to a wrecking yard and get an HEI, figure on having it recurved by someone with a real distributor machine. I didn't see any advance specs on this E-bay ad, and he didn't mention if it was altered or anything.

I had mine equipped with an aftermarket performance advance kit and adjustable vacuum can, and when I took it in to my guy I told him to set it up. When I told him of my mods, he rolled his eyes and said I would need all new parts...parts that work.

He dialed that thing in and the difference was amazing. I've never felt such a "seat of the pants" difference in any other mod. Headers, mufflers, maybe even camshaft. He somehow just brought the engine to life with a recurve.

Find a guy that can do a good recurve, and you can start with almost anything.

Agree with the recurve. I will take it to an engine builder with a distributor machine. He charges $20 to set up the distributor. I went ahead and ordered the Skip White distributor. Should last as long as the 14 month old MSD that cost 3x as much.

Distributor delivered today. Taking it and a advance kit to the engine builder so he can put it on his distributor machine and dial it in. Soooo looking forward to putting it in on Saturday!!!

Now,reading up on how to adjust my newly rebuilt 1981 GM ECM carb. What a chore!!!