suspension on a '72 with a 454?

jstadter

I know that a '72 with a 454 wasn't an SS, but when a 454 was ordered that year, did the engine package include the suspension pieces that had only been available on the '70-'71 SS - e.g. auto level control, boxed lower control arms, rear sway bar, stiffer springs?

Jim

I think the Custom had those goodies minus the air ride, but I'm not sure about the 454. Now I'm wondering if you could get the 454 in '72 without it being a custom?

I think the Custom had those goodies minus the air ride, but I'm not sure about the 454.

I think that Wallaby's right about the Custom, but I'm not sure about a '72 454-equipped car having those goodies as a requirement, either. I'm guessing that someone will know, though.

The 454 was available on any Monte Carlo in '72 as an option. The Custom package was also an option and could be had with any V8 engine that was available in non-Custom Monte Carlos - therefore a '72 454-equipped Custom is often regarded as the closest thing to a Monte Carlo SS that you could get in '72. wink

Dave

I'm going to try to answer the suspension question, as I have a non-Custom 454 car. As I look at the build sheet, I do not see anything in the lower sections regarding F41 suspension or anything like that. In the top section, for Ctl Arms Rear is NUNHHD. I've got AKA and BP BP for front and rear springs and 544R for Stab., EK and DN DN for front and rear shocks.

The car was almost bone stock when I got it back in '88 and it has the boxed rear arms with sway bar.

I'm pretty confident that the suspension is the same as a 70 or 71 SS minus the load-leveler.

Hope that helps