Help with upper control arms!

I am doing ball joints/bushings on my 71', just wondering how do you get the upper cross shaft out? it looks like it is multi piece unit with bolts going in on either side. Does this also mean the new bushings have to be pressed in with the cross shaft in in place?

Thanks

make it easy on yourself....

that it to a auto parts store that does bushing replacement, it's not expensive and will save you a ton of work, esp if you've never done it before

and do not!!!! tighten the nuts on the cross shaft until you have the car back on the ground

Hi Matthew. Put your control arm in a vise if you have one. Take out the bolts in each end of the shaft. Take a blunt(not sharp)chisel and carefully knock out bushing working around the outside lip. It may "tear" on you, so you may have to go to the inside of the bushing. Just be carefull not to damage your control arm. Take your time on the first one, then you will see how to do it. I use an air hammer, but you have to use caution if using one. Once you have it apart, using a large socket or better yet a bushing driver, knock one bushing about halfway in. You are going to want to hold that end of control arm against the vise, it helps to have someone hold it for you. Then stick your bar in. With the bar in,start knocking the other bushing in a little at a time. At this point you should be able to work them all the way in, a little at a time. Make sure your bar is somewhat in it's correct postion before you get it tight, because it can be hard to position once your done. Others can chime in, but this is how I have done it for the last 35 years. Hope this helps. smile