Brake Booster & Valve Cover clearance

Hey guys, do I use the same brake booster and master cylinder with my big block that I used with my small block? My problem is, I am using the tall style valve covers on my big block and there is no clearance between the valve covers and the brake booster. If I ever decide to change valve covers, I will probably have to remove the brake booster. Do you big block guys use a smaller brake booster?

Hi Ken,I'm facing the same issue,I'm doing the SB BB swap too,

The Cast Aluminum covers on my 427 are tall but they are lower at the bottom side and get taller mid ways. Its going to be close from what I'm measuring.

Terry

You will have to go with a smaller Booster if you use those taller Valve covers on a Big Block. Otherwise when you put the Motor under load, the motor/valve cover will hit the booster and dent it and scratch it up. We had to put a smaller booster on a 70 Chevelle cause of this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

use bbc tall boat covers....you can get them at Eddy Marine...I have used them on both cars and no issues.....they have a flat side to clear transom headers which also make them clear a booster and air conditioning box....I run both roller rockers and stud girdles under them...

Check out Luxford Auto Parts (.com). I purchased their powder coated 454 covers for my 496 running 1.7 rollers and no fitment issues with my stock booster. I can still remove them too with no issues. You do have to be careful if you are pulling or installing your engine with them on though, which I wouldn't do with covers on anyway.

Can send you pics if you want.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ever think about converting to a hydro boost? Install is not that bad. Its a good trade for better brakes, takes up less room and doesn't rely on vacum for operation. You can run as big as a cam as you want. Check this article out.

Car Craft Hydro Swap

As you can see the booster is just a little bigger than the master cylinder. Here is another members Monte with a hydro boost.

IMG_0491.JPG