Kick panels

sparky

Hello everybody and Merry Christmas, I would like to know if anyone has ever removed kick panels in a non A.C. car. I want to paint them. I just don't know if would be easier to mask and spray in place. Ideally, removing them would have a better result. I just know how much of a pain in the butt that is going to be. Thanks, Sparky

Sparky you can take the kick panels out. The grille snaps in place and hides roughly 8 screws. There is a bracket above the panel for the dash vents which needs to be undone so the cable can come out. The passenger side is easy the drivers side is a pain do to the e-brake being in the way.

These pics may help.

Here is a picture of the rt kick panel in my 71 NON A/C Monte. I did get it out. The caulking held on tight.

The left one requires removing the parking brake.

Rt Kick Panel

Removed

Link to the entire Heater Core project:

Entire snowball!

Hello, Thanks for your response about kick panel removal. I would still like to know if I need to pull the lower dash and do I need to remove parking brake. In otherwords how long is it going to take me to do this job. Thanks, Sparky Or should I just paint them in place.

I can't say for sure because I already had the dash out. One thing does led to another (snowball effect) once one thing looks nice the item next to it looks bad.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I have a methoud to mount the actual kick panel vent, in the original screw holes and make the kick panel portion removeable without having to deal with all the sealing puddy. Requires only an Exacto knife and three self-tapping screws. No modification to the grill required. I can't figure out how to post drawings on here. Also note that if you have an A.C. car, you can put akick panel vent on the Driver's side ...and do not use or need the re-circulating setting, it is very E-Z to put in a kick panel floor vent on the Passenger side.

• 2 weeks later...

20140108_183106_zpsaaf360e0.jpg

20140110_184017_zpsc699ca8c.jpg

I just replaced mine and got them from OPGI and they come with a cut out for 6 1/2 round speakers and they look awesome! If you prefer you can get them without the speaker hole too.