cruise control on my SS

I recently bought a 71 ss and was surprized when it showed up with cruise control. I have original window sticker,build sheet, and protecto plate and everything adds up except the cruise control.It looks like factory installed works great as well but not documented anywhere. I was told it would be a big job to add cruise to the car so I wonder could it have been factory installed and not documented by mistake.

70& 71 Monte's with the SS package were void of cruise control, because the level ride compressor would be mounted on the driver's side inner fender well. This is where the cruise control module would be mounted on a non SS car. If you have the compressor there and the cruise control module, a picture would be nice. My guess would be that since you have documentation on the SS package and none on the cruise control, then somebody removed the compressor and added the cruise control. The compressor was usually the first thing removed when the system started to malfunction. You can check out the SS page and note location of the unit.HTH.

Also if you have a documented SS the cruise could have been dealer installed if it's not shown on your build sheet.Jim is correct about cruise not coming on the '70&'71 SS because of the auto-level compressor's location on the left inner fender.

I just reread your other post on how the auto-level system works.Do you have both?

------------------

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Daily driver K&N/Accel/MSD/Dynomax

'70 SS454/.030,Holley 750/Compcams 280M,Rollertips,rhoads/Mallory Unitlite,Hyfire,Promaster coil/ Blackjack Alumacoat/ps/pw/console/tach/rear defrost/AC/fiber optics - sad she had to go due to health and finances

'92 Capri XR2 Turbo

'89 Grand Am LE

[This message has been edited by coolram (edited 12-23-2002).]

Thanks for your response.Yes I do have both they are on the same inner fender well and are both operational.That may very well be the answer to the mystery if it were dealer installed.I will download a picture so you can see the installation.I will also send a picture of car.

John

I was told it would be a big job to add cruise to the car so I wonder could it have been factory installed and not documented by mistake.[/b]

It's not that big of a job to add cruise if you have all the parts. You have to make a few new holes and run a wire inside the steering column from your new blinker lever. Plumb some vacuum line and change speedo cables. Change brake light switch and add a vacuum switch by the brake light switch. Hook up the linkage and electrical and go for a test drive. A saturday afternoon if you have done it before, a weekend if you haven't.

------------------

Steve

I'm aware of one FGMCC member with a 71SS454 that had cruise control installed by dealer. His father purchased the car new and therefore knows it's correct. My 71 SS454 doesn't have cruise control. However, I've purchased one with plans to install it. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E/12bolt