package tray replacement

Rock

Thanks guys. The old one was destroyed by what looks like water damage. I ended up cleaning up the metal from some minor surface rust and sealing it with some epoxy paint. Then I cut 1/4 hardboard to fit the area which I made a cardboard template. After getting the perfect fit I cut out the 6 x 9 holes for the speakers. Then to make sure the grills fit correctly I drilled from the underside of the package tray. Then I glued the carpet down and trimmed to fit. Only took me 2 weeks to deal with this snowball. But it was worth it to get some great results. The back window leak has been fixed by previous owner so I should be good now.

That looks GREAT! Nice job, Rock.

Thanks Bob....the one thing I wish I would of done after installing it was paint the board where the 6 x 9 opening is or glued some fine mesh black screen over the holes....when you look through the back window you can see the board through the speaker grills!! frown

12734844983_ab04e3dcc0.jpg

_DSC0065 by Hoodicoff, on Flickr

I used 3/8 masonite and some black speaker box carpet to build up a new package tray, also covered the whole shelf with some B-quiet, you can also get some black vinyl if you want more of an 'Original' look

12734844983_ab04e3dcc0.jpg

_DSC0065 by Hoodicoff, on Flickr

I used 3/8 masonite and some black speaker box carpet to build up a new package tray, also covered the whole shelf with some B-quiet, you can also get some black vinyl if you want more of an 'Original' look

Your car is awesome....i need to see this one in person!

I thought about the stuff they use on sub boxes.....the stuff I seen looked a little thin and you could see the backing.

Hopefully I will make it to a western meet as soon as I work all the bugs out of er! I sure would like to meet some of guys in real life.

The stuff I use for sub boxes and other interior panels is a super stretchy non backed material, it molds quite well to pretty much anything. Most good car audio places should have the material. I found a site that carries the stuff as well

http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html