package tray replacement

Rock

As long as I have the back seat pulled apart I might as well replace the package tray. It is kind of looking like crap. I was thinking of using 3/8 mdf with some kind of fabric glued to it. I haven't taken it apart yet but is 3/8 to thick?

Water leaks from the rear backlite cause the damage. Fix the leaks first if you can. 3/8 I believe is too thick. OEM was cardboard with some insulation glued to it. I still have my original someplace.

When I was restoring my 71 back in like 1986, my neighbor had two made at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, one for his Chevelle and one for my Monte. They were some sort of cardboard, very thin, covered in the "then popular" Velcro looking black mat material. It has held up perfectly. He even had speaker holes built in, that you can't see, so I didn't need the metal 6" x 9" grills. Man that was a long time ago! Good luck but be careful of that snowball effect!

Bruce

I agree with Scott, as I recall when I replaced mine with the OPG part, the replacement was only about an 1/8" thick, maybe 3/16". What I removed was very similar but was basically powder so I couldn't get a true measurement, just sucked it up with the shop vac............

Wow it's that thin? Pretty sure the leaks are fixed but the package tray is warped and someone put some fabric over the warped piece. Looks kinda bad. Guess I Will take it apart and see what I have to replace it with. I seen what they have at OPG and wasn't too thrilled with the reviews of the product so I will try and engineer something myself.

20140125_210644_zpsfcec00a5.jpg

Heres the package tray. You can see that the material is real wavy and believe it or not it was glued down. I like the masonite idea....hard surface that wont warp under heat. Just can't decide if I should go with Gray or black. The interior is black and I thought the gray would look nice with the black speaker grills and match the outside of the car.

Hey Rock, I've seen a lot of different methods on the package tray, I like the contrasting color option. I also liked the idea of using vinyl w/foam backing (1/8") it makes it slightly puffed up which hides any wrinkling and it's a breeze to clean vs cloth!

Hey Rock, I've seen a lot of different methods on the package tray, I like the contrasting color option. I also liked the idea of using vinyl w/foam backing (1/8") it makes it slightly puffed up which hides any wrinkling and it's a breeze to clean vs cloth!

Starting to think that also!! 2beers

I didn't know that the package tray had fabric over it. Mine looks like a piece of heavy cardboard that is black with a vinyl seal that seals against the backseat. Mine was replaced in 1986 at a chevy dealer here in wisconsin. I have receipt and previous owner was a manager at the dealership. Did he just not put the fabric back over it? I also have one speaker cutout on passenger side rear

I didn't know that the package tray had fabric over it. Mine looks like a piece of heavy cardboard that is black with a vinyl seal that seals against the backseat. Mine was replaced in 1986 at a chevy dealer here in wisconsin. I have receipt and previous owner was a manager at the dealership. Did he just not put the fabric back over it? I also have one speaker cutout on passenger side rear

Yours is the correct factory one Eric.

Mine has the original cardboard package tray except someone spray glued a black felt piece over it....looks like crap which is why I want to replace it. Pretty sure it will crumble when I try and take it out.

Ok thanks. My 97 monte has the felt glued on but all modern cars seem to. Im sure the cardboard will be brittle and defaced since it was glued. Maybe a good factory replacement with dual speaker cutout s will work nicely in your car in black

If you are not too concerned about staying original, National Parts Depot has a hard plastic package tray with 6x9 speaker pods and a 3rd brake light (optional) integrated....

NPD_Tray.jpg

My tray looks like a coarse screen over cardboard. It looks original but I do not know for sure.

Sounds like the OPG part, Larry. This what I install a few years back when it was only available in Black and $20 cheaper!

http://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1970/interior-accessories/package-tray/RSS62/

Here is a finish picture of the package tray Andreas posted 001-23.jpg

Halleluiah! I have wondered for years what your avatar picture actually was, Robert ... now it finally makes sense!! blush

Glen here is probably the only picture of the package tray I have from the front 004-13.jpg There is a gap from where the package tray stops and the top of the back seat as I didn't have the front trim piece for the package tray. It's a nice unit kinda gives the back seat that it has head rest. The 6x9 mounts gets the sound up and over the rear seat.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the package tray....let me know what ya think. I tried a dark gray for contrast but didn't like the results.Decided to stick with black. I bought some black automotive carpet off EBAY and was extremely happy with what they sent me.....very nice short nap and looks really good in my opinion.

20140129_195823_zpsqtljaavu.jpg

20140220_190906_zpstsbw0llr.jpg

The before.

URL=http://s775.photobucket.com/user/glnewman3118k/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140125_210644_zpsfcec00a5.jpg.html]20140125_210644_zpsfcec00a5.jpg[/url]