12 converting to posi

pocobill7t1

You can exchange the non-Posi Carrier with a 12 Bolt Posi. Generally cheaper to replace the Carrier provided it is in good useable condition.

There are specific procedures and tolerances that need attention if doing so yourself when exchanging. If having it done by someone else, finding a good useable complete 12 Bolt Posi axle may make more sense.

Not sure of exactly what you have in mind, so am suggesting based on an OEM replacement and assuming you are doing the exchange yourself.

There are considerations for replacing seals / bearing / clutches and maybe gear(s) as long as it is open and would add to the cost for exchange. Of course, your taking your chances on a OEM used 12 Bolt Posi axle as well. So do your research to select which direction you will take.

If you opt for a complete axle assembly, you may consider selling axle in car to off set cost, but then you wont have the original from car any longer.

Doug

Good points, i am not worried about keeping the originallity of the car. If it was a straight swap I would do it myself. Changing the insides I would have a shop do it as it is beyond me. The car is basically stock and dont need anything to crazy. Thx

Are you going to change ratio?

if so you need to decide on the ratio before you begin.

the carrier needsto be changed regardless, but they are different based on ratio.

monza something (member) does rear ends.

I did mine myself, but I repair cars for a living.

its pretty straight forward, but tedious. Special tools are also needed.press, dial indicater seal driver.install kit and shims.imsure there is more, but you get the idea.

If you want gears such as 3.31, 3.42, 3.55, 3.73 then get a series 3 carrier. If you think maybe someday you want 4.10s, get a series 3 carrier not a series 4. Richmond makes a set of 4.10s that are compatable with series 3 carriers. If you want something lower than 4.10s, say 4.33, then you will need a series 4 carrier.

Also, I recommend old school "steel clutches". I do not recommend the commonly used "carbon fiber" clutches. Somebody like Randy's Ring and Pinion carries the steel clutches. You will need the 18 piece set.

Lastly, I recommend Eaton. All this is just my 2 cents, hope it helps. - Dave