Performer intakes?

Murphy

I installed a used Edelbrock Performer 2 yrs ago, I cleaned it up and painted it, installed new gasket. It was a noticeable improvement but I've had this annoying minor oil leak back by the distributor. Now with the new bellhousing I installed, I've been able to definitely pinpoint the slight oil leak near the distributor since the bell has a fresh coat of paint. I know I used enough RTV when it was installed so I'm wondering do these intakes warp? Possibly will get a new air-gap style.........

it's leaking past the RTV, common, when you use RTV...clean, clean, clean, and let it set 24 hours to fully cure, one little drop of oil, grease, coolant can make the RTV not to stick to the surfaces and it will leak, maybe not right away, but it will leak

That's probably the issue Sam, guess I'll take it off and reinstall paying closer attention to cleanliness! I used the black RTV, was that correct? Once disassembled I can used a straight edge to check for warpage which I didn't do the 1st time.

No the intakes don't warp. If the RTV was not sealing correctly you'd have a vacuum leak. If you had a vacuum leak it wouldn't run right.

I would first look at the round gasket between the distributor and the intake. My son was losing oil in the rear and that was the issue.

I've been using this grey RTV from GM at work. It is the best stuff I've used in a long time. From when you lay it out you need to be assembled in 15 minutes. But it cures over very fast. No waiting 24 hours for it to cure. The part number I have is 12378521. It may be an old number but the parts guys will know what it is. It's about $30 for a 5.3 oz. tube and works in a caulking gun. This is what all GM motors are assembled with from the factory.

• Like 1

Scott I think I remember that GM RTV being the same stuff as permatex-the right stuff

I also second the acetone, you can always uses a small piece of tape as a measure of cleanliness, if it sticks it's clean. If not some oil still there