Over heating trouble

Rock

Like I said...it runs fine without the stat....doesn't over heat at all. Runs about 180 and no foam. I checked the oil and I have no coolant in the oil. Bizarre!

I think I will take the stat out and take it to a repair shop.....wish I was better at this stuff. I did have a mechanic look at it when we first had it running and he adjusted the timing and the carb for me. Maybe he will look at this for a case of beer?!?!

have you tried heating water on the stove to a boil with your thermostat in it to see if it is actually opening or not? Old trick just to verify the new stat is working at all.

Yep, I boiled the stat and it opened at 195. I think I will flush the entire system and put in a new radiator. I think this is the original radiator. It may be time to upgrade it to an aluminum radiator. I have my mechanic coming over on Wednesday to take a look at it.

I'm sorry to ask but with a new intake manifold, does it require a different t-stat? Not meaning to insult anyone here, just wonder if there is a problem since there is a new manifold? I'm saying this because it only happens with the stat in, is that correct Rock?

I'm sorry to ask but with a new intake manifold, does it require a different t-stat? Not meaning to insult anyone here, just wonder if there is a problem since there is a new manifold? I'm saying this because it only happens with the stat in, is that correct Rock?

Sounds logical...car runs fine without the stat and stat works fine in a boiling pot of water but when installed in the manifold it may be hitting something and not fully opening or not opening at all...just a thought.

I am using a new water neck. It's the stainless steel one from Summit. It is causing no clearance problems. I ordered a new radiator (aluminum) and will be flushing the entire system and starting from square one.

• 1 year later...

I am using a new water neck. It's the stainless steel one from Summit. It is causing no clearance problems. I ordered a new radiator (aluminum) and will be flushing the entire system and starting from square one.

PM sent