rear axle length

John S

What length should axles be for 1970 monte 12 bolt, I get two lengths 30.063 and 30.125 also I rebuilt 12 bolt rear 6 months ago have excessive axle end play book says .006-.020 could groove where c-clip goes be worn?

John S

Hi John,

I discovered a few years back that pre 1968 rear axles were approx. 1" narrower than later years vs. Monte / Chevelle anyway.

If looking at the driveshaft assy. side of the axle, on the left side of the axle tube around approx. 12" from housing there are numbers stamped into the axle tube. These can be faint and difficult to see depending on cleanliness of axle tube but once located and read can be decoded for application(s).

Pic shows location where stamping will be found. Just take those numbers/letters and do a Google search for GM Axle codes to find applications.

100_1957.jpg

The end play wear is a possibility John. You will have to investigate where that excess play is coming from.

Doug

The axle code CCF 0903B 1970 chevelle with L48 350 and L34 402 Summit shows 30.063 moser axle. 30.125 was in the car. The rear end I bought w/ 3.31 gears had 30.063 axles in them. They were in bad shape so I used axles in the 3.55 rear end that I bought the car with, they were in better shape. Just wondering if anyone may have come across axles that the c clip groove had wear.

John S