carb spacers...

What is your engine combo? I'm using vortec heads and when I installed a 2" 4 hole spacer and the car picked up at least 2 tenths in the qtr. all engines like different things try one and see how she performs.

fgmccpopcorn.gif

I`ve read many articles on them and they always seem to make power.

I bought a 1" fully open spacer that is made from a material that doesn`t transmit heat, and track tested it on my car. My car went almost a tenth slower but I blame that on my hood clearance, I don`t have much room and that spacer put my filter to the bottom of the hood and with my "filtered top" it was now restricted.

I took it off and my next run was back to normal.

I will try it again with a cowl hood in the future.

I would suggest it to you if you have the room.

Your right sam, open carb spacers help on the big end which is probably why big blocks and healthy small blocks like open spacers, but if you have a mild small block I would stick with the 4 hole spacer they tend to pick up the torque in the low rpm range, that's my thought's.

fgmcc

i have a mild 350 that is stock except for the edelbrock intake, mallory ign., and finally free of smog control. so, i think the 4-hole would help me where i want it, at the bottom.

i'm just building a daily pro-tour a bit at a time here and it probably won't see track. although i do want a good bit of grunt for the street.

what are you guys getting for 0-60 times ??

and with what combo's??

I agree with Robyn, I have a mild sm block, i had a spacer (open) and i was not happy on the low end. mine is a street car so you don't get to use the high end very often.

Mike

It all depends on plenum volume in the intake and the air flow demands of the engine. Adding spacers open or four hole adds plenum volume. If you add volume and lose power "slow down" then you have low velocity "air speed" in your intake tract. This could be due to heads and or the manifold being "too large" for the combo. Or the cam can be way off. Intake port velocity can be too high and cause problems believe it or not. Once the rate of travel in the intake tract goes beyond the sonic level the air is superheated expands and becomes unstable and very turbulant. When this occurs they run like crap! One sign of this is poor power productin in the mid range and upper end, running large carbs with big jets on a good fuel sytem and still leaning out on the top end. You really aren't lean it just than the cly fill and air/fuel mix in the port is screwed up to the point of being a restriction and can't get to the cly. That is until you sit and idle and it loades up and dies.

Dark Lincoln, with the combo you have any spacer will most likley cause you to lose torque and power down low, under 3500 rpms. You may see a little gain above 5000 rpms but not as much as you will lose down low. For your combo it would be a loosing deal both in power and drivability.

Don

Rice, thanx for your input.

my intake is a dual plane, mid- rise edelbrock performer. is it that if i add a spacer of say 1" 4-hole that it could be to much air for the stock heads??

from what i read in hi performance chevy mag., the 4-hole is good for bottom end especially since it has the grooves in each hole to spin the air.

you can go to hiperformancechevy.com to read their story on a $500 budget performance upgrade to a 70 camaro. there it mentions the spacer and how it helped out in that engine.

point taken. thanks don and studie.

right now my big problem is finding the right size air filter housing to work with my HEI.

any ideas??

Knight - Doessn't a 14" drop base air cleaner work with HEI on a small block????

I'm 99% sure I've used that combo before. You should have enough hood clearance to use a 3" element without the drop-base - that should definately work, assuming we are talking open-element.

I've got both at home if you want to give it a try before you buy anything....

hey buddy,

well, my problem is the 14x3 filter is too wide it seems. it hits against the wires to close to where they connect at the distributor. i'm gonna play with it some more and see if i can make it work.

Yes, I remember it being very tight but it still should work. For the two boots that are close to the air cleaner, you have to aim one towards the left and the other towards the right - I don't think it will fit any other way. And I never use that ring that goes on top of the wire boots, either.

Good luck. cool

I'm gonna stop by your shop one of these days....

stop by anytime during the week.

i got the filter on. the problem is i got the mallory hei with the race coil and it comes with the boot top cover whether you like it or not.

it's tight but works. now im going to try to start it.

what combo do you have in your ride??

Suppoosed to be nice tomorrow so I'll probably drive my old wreck to work tomorrow, and maybe swing by at lunch around 12:30 - are you gonna be around?