Hyperuetic pistons for sub-500 hp engine?

I want to build a motor at about 400-450 hp and about that range of torque on a budget.

i just need to know if the basic Scat rotating assembly would be able to support this much power. No nitrous or chargers of course.

my car is a daily driver, the engine size i want is 383, and i have a 700r4 performance with 12 bolt 2.73 rear.

I built a 383 in that horsepoer range a couple of years ago from scratch. It was a great engine. Sold it to a friend and it is still running strong...

See the detailed specs here:

http://members.fortunecity.com/akw01/MonteCarlo/id6.html

i've done a little leg work on pricing the forged set up and it's about twice as much. i do want to get a forged bottom end, but money is a factor.

thanx for the quick response by the way.

As long as compression wasn't too high, and you didn't plan on revving it crazy high, that power level would be fine with hypereutectics and a cast crank. I would think rods might be your limiting factor here.

Factory rods recon'd with arp bolts will live at that level as long as the rpm's are kept below 6500. DO NOT USE THE PM TYPE RODS!!!!

They may be strong but they are brittle and have a bad habit of breaking in the beam.

With hyperutectic pistons you must never allow any detonation(spark knock) and you must tune to less total timing around 32 deg. The high silicon content that allows the pistons to have a lower coefficent of expansion also makes the top ring land easy to break off.

Cast cranks are fine at that power level. Just make sure you have the assembly balanced!

Don

i'm not sure i'll be hitting 5500rpm just as a personal rule of thumb. again, i'm not going to be racing, just daily driving and ocassional spirited driving. but not really pushing limits. i want more bottom end torque really so the high end won't get pushed much.

when you say "PM style" rods, what do you mean exactly?

the kit's i'm looking at are from Scat and Eagle. both have internal balance. i'm just wondering if anyone has experiance with these.

are there any affordable forged kits?