Front stereo speakers

Leghome

Can anyone tell me the depth/height of the front speakers? The speakers in my dash now are rubbing the circuit board because of the large magnets on said speakers. I found a couple of sets on Crutchfield's website that are 1 1/2" deep and another 1 9/16" deep. Also what is the diameter of the front speakers?

Hi Larry, the previous owner of my Monte installed speakers that were to big and the magnets rubbed through my circuit board shorted it out and I had to replace it.  I used these speakers in their place in front picture attached.  I used stock speaker brackets that were modified to fasten the two Memphis Audio speakers in place.  Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I'm happy with the sound quality, good highs off of the front glass.  I think the stock replacement speakers are available from OPGI (Ken Harrison and an off brand 3 1/2" speakers. hope that helps

post-1185-0-51738900-1416965625_thumb.png

These guys make stock replacements and also upgraded speakers that will fit.  http://turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Keep in mind.  If you are using your original factory radio or a newer one makes a difference.  You will need speakers designed for either 4 ohms or 8 ohms depending on which unit you are using.  Keep that in mind.

Here on Long Island many use a current model Kenwood set of front speakers if we are using aftermarket radios in-dash or glove box.  They are the only ones (believe me I checked the specs/line drawings of literally every one made!!) that can be made to fit with some modifications.  I can get the model number for you later.  I'll get Steve to respond here. Most are either too deep or have larger magnets that we do not have the room for.

In my car I installed a set of Boston Acoustic SE's.  Boston acoustic was getting out of car stereo market and had all their car audio stuff on clearance.  The specs were very very very close.  But even with those we(Steve)  had to REALLY customize the brackets and add add'l mounts to get them to fit.  Huge ordeal.  It would have been impossible with the windshield installed but luckily it was not yet.  Literally millimeters to spare in every direction. Have pics of install if need.

I would either stick with one of the sets above or get the Kenwoods.  The Kenwoods can be made to fit with a lil work.

I will try to get the model number for you.

Dan

Kenwood part number KFC-4675C, they are 60watt speakers. I've installed them a half dozen times. You can modify the original bracket to clear the magnet and then make some small "L" brackets to mount them.

The key here is they are the only speakers that I've found that fit on the left side to clear the gauge cluster. On the right side you can almost fit a 6x9....lol

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve I just ordered a pair of the Kenwood KFC-4675C and a set of new knobs for the radio. The old set from the Retrosound Model 1/B did not fit the way I thought they should.

Now I need to find some original mounting brackets for the speakers. Has anyone made some brackets when the originals cannot be found? I know there are no aftermarket ones available.

Larry.  I have pics I can send of my modified bracket and what speaker looks like installed.  Remember I have the Boston Acoustics which need more modification and were nearly impossible to fit (even had to trim frame of speaker itself a bit).  But at least with the pics you can get an idea of what steve was talking about regarding L brackets.

Or you can by the kick panels by your feet designed to hold front speakers to.  I myself would find a set of original frt speaker brackets and use the Kenwoods.

Sent you a PM to get your email to send pics.  Not in your profile.  PM's are in drop down list when you click on your name on top right.  

I myself have to get used to the new site.

Dan

Speakers have arrived and Leo is shipping the mounting brackets and also a new circuit board for the dash cluster. Progress is being made slowly but surely. (Don't call me Shirley) LOL LOL