Do I have my Crossmember in Wrong?

ChevroletR

Hey, I have a 1970 Monte Carlo w/ 383 and TH350 trans. I know this sounds weird but for the longest time I've had my trans crossmember (the rubber pad and bracket mount type) bolted to the bottom of the lower frame rail. I just realized this doesn't look right and the bracket is easily noticeable when you look at the side of the car. I'm also having problems with my driveshaft being wedged in and the last time I took it out to put a pinion seal in the rear, I had to really pry on the driveshaft to get it out. I was looking at other A-bodies, none though that I found with this rubber mounted style of a crossmember, but all of them were mounted above the lower frame rail. Is mine on wrong? I actually hope it is, maybe this will take care of my problem. lol. Thanks.

Ryan Washington

www.RyansCustoms.com

the crossmember sits ON or in the frame, so the frame supports it, not the bolts, at least thats how it is on both of mine, one with rubber bushing, the 4spd doesn't have a bushing

Sam

Ryan-

Do you know if your Monte was built early in the production run? I saw an assembly manual that showed a crossmember with rubber bushings at each end, but it said it was cancelled. I think that style may have even been recalled and replaced!

I put a 68 Imapala crossmember in my car, bolted right into the factory holes in the frame w/o the bushings. I would imagine a chevelle crossmember would work too.

but definately inside the frame, bushings or not.

• 1 year later...

Haha, yup, mine was definately in wrong. I unbolted it and put it on the top of the lower frame rails...not sure how or why I had it bolted to the bottom...that was almost 7 years ago though when I was only 14! Live and learn I guess, right?

And yes, mine has the rubber insulators on each end. I read an article in a Hot Rod or Super Chevy magazine (one of the several magazines I get) that had a letter of someone writing into the magazine about a question about his crossmember or the rubber insulators. The reply from the editor was that the rubber insulators were used on Pontiac and Oldsmobile vehicles so I immediated emailed in to send in a correction. Can't forget about the Montes! I just love it when people say how awesome Chevelles are...then I add, well I have a Monte Carlo and it's just about the same car with a 6 foot hood!

Thanks,

Ryan