700R4 Problems

Bob Hansen

Well it's not the Monte, it's a daily driver

87 GMC 1500 4X4 6100 GVW 5.7 (355 now)

anyway about 45000 miles ago I paid $1800 to get the tranny rebuilt.

Currently the shifts are soft and fluid is turning bad. Has heavy duty trans cooler don't use overdrive when towing / hauling loads.

Question:

Could simple clutch pack wear be the problem or could there be a valve body issue causing a drop in pressure?

My guess is the place that rebuilt it, shafted me & did a half baked job for full price.

I am debating pulling the trans out my self & having it re-rebuilt although I doubt that a $2500 truck is worth putting a $1200 or $1400 trans job in. (especially since I would need to borrow the money) cry

Maybe I should change the fluid & sell it???

Yea, I was checking on ebay this morning

add some for 4x4 add $250 for core charge add $230 for shipping, etc. but at $995 that is still better than the 12 to 1400 I was quoted locally.

Bob

Bob, I was shafted twice by two different auto trans guys. Plan on rebuilding my TH350. Unable to rebuild 700R4s or 2004Rs as they require many special tools. Ed

I got mine done here in ohio for 795.00 about 4 years ago ...kevlar band shift kit 2000 stall b&m lock up kit behind a big block I drag race it with slick and with out 13.45 with out slicks and 3.31 gears and 12.80's with slicks and 3.31 gears. Shipping would be the killer. I think he charges 150.00 for a core if you do not have one. Jim

I can get a number if you are interested and even pick up and ship reasonable if you would like I shipped a tranny through DHL for 66.00 in a wood crate. NO converter though. mitschke454@earthlink.net