need information on a 12 bolt rear end

I am looking at upgrading or replacing my 12 bolt. I ASSUMED that it was original but I cant fing the correct info on the reaer end where it is supposed to be. If anyone can help me identify this chunk I would appreciate it. The numbers on the pumkin itself read;

GM 62

3969278 NF

I havent been able to find the info that the manual says should be on the axle housing, (not the pumpkin) to identify this as original. Does anyone have any ideas. I will check back or can be reached through email at hankster@bellsouth.net

Thanks,

Hank

Thanks. I went to the tech page but the rear end codes didnt list the code I found on the rear end. I dont think I have a stock rear end. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Hank

Ok i had to stick my head in here

on the front of the passenger side axle tube ruffly 4-8 inches out from the pumpkin there will be some numbers stamped on the tube

the numbers you got off the axle pumpkin

gm 62 3969278

the 3969278 is the part number for the axle that dealerships use to order the housing

i will look that part number up for you when i get home and let you know

but the rear axle id info in the tech info page that i wrote up will tell you what gears it had and date it was made along with what shift and if it is posi "originally" or not.

post up what you find on the tube "you might need to clean it off with some degreaser and an old towel" srub hard to.

alex

------------------

alex

gotta love a house full of parts soon i will be able to assemble it in my house......

http://www.geocities.com/alexs72fgmc

1985 monte carlo ss

1972 monte carlo

1972 monte carlo &

1971 monte carlo "parts cars"

Thanks for the info Alex. I got frustrated looking for the numbers so I just opened her up and did the math. The fluid needed, really needed to be changed anyway. I have a 2.73 rear end(12 bolt). Thanks for the info though. If you can still look up the numbers and tell me if this is an original 71 monte rear end, I would appreciate it. Oh by the way. I just bought myself a restored 1970 Monte so the 71 Project monte will go up for sale. I am going to post it on the 4 sale page of the site. Pass the word.

Thanks,

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help on the rear end ID, I finally found the numbers and the rear end is original and has 2.73 gears. I verified this with the info from the ID numbers and by counting the teeth and doing the math. I needed to change the rear gear oil anyway. The new 70 Monte is awesome. The springs and shocks are definitely original, they are shot. I swapped the old rear coils out with some new Elcomino HD coils to give her a higher stance at the rear. Will replace the shocks soon. Will get the pics up soon. See every one later. Happy New Year all.

BB