Dash modern update

70navymonte

Hey everyone! It's been forever since I've been on here. Anyways, I just ordered one of the panel kits from Classic Dash with the Autometer American Muscles series gauges, a new Kenwood head unit, and a set of 6-1/2 front speakers, and a set of 6x9's for the back deck. All of the instructions are pretty straight forward. I'm checking in to see if anyone else has done something similar with these modern updates? Any tips or tricks or snags that I need to know about? I'll post the progress once I get the stuff and get going on it. Thanks!

A couple of the Long Island gang have been very helpful to me on my front speaker install. I went with a Kenwood speakers set. The mounting brackets had to be modified to accept the speakers as it is a very snug fit on the drivers side. My speakers are 4 X 6 and they just barely fit. KFC-4675C is the KENWOOD part number. If you do a search in the upper right had corner of this screen and type u=in Kenwood speakers several posts will appear. Click on the front speaker thread and there is some good info of what can work and what the Long Island gang has used. Plus a couple of other threads that have some good info

Mark...  I cringed a bit when you mentioned 6 1/2" speakers for the dash.   I was hoping that you meant for under the dash.

As Larry offered,   acreage is tight on the left side.  He is a pretty talented innovator and  massaged the brackets to adapt.     I just threw money at the problem to make it happen.  I used a $400 pair of 2 5/8"  mid-range speakers under the pad and built brackets under the dash to mount a set of 6 1/2" for additional fill.

Thanks for tips. I probably should've mentioned that I bought the kick panels with speaker cutouts from OPGI. Lol

i bought those also and put them in my car but I added component speakers and put the tweeters up under the dash.....the highs need to be close to ear level to get the best sound

possible.....IMO.

In regards to installing a new dash with these new gauges, what needs to be done with the original PCB, or is it just removed and the gauges are powered..... differently??

Thanks.

I have no knowledge of that system, but I believe they each get their own wiring vs the stock cluster using a printed circuit board. My 70 got the modern dash setup from Dakota Digital with their VHX gauges. I was going to do the same thing with my 72 but changed my mind and an going with stock gauges. As for sounds I throw a set of 4x6" JBL's in the dash of my Monte even before changing to the Dakota gauges. Had 4" speakers in the stock kick panels which got upgraded to 6.5" left the 6x9's in the package tray and added two 10" subs in the trunk.

• 3 weeks later...