A/C doesnt seem right

GriffsMonte

Wassup guys,

Griff here with a new rookie question,

My Monte makes a squeaking/squawking  noise when i turn on the A/C unit and it seems to be barely blowing any air at all even with the unit on full blast. the system is charged if i could get it to puh more air into the cabn it would have perfect A/c. Any thoughts on how i can get this fixed ? its going to be a hot summer down here in GA.

I would recommend you have it looked at by a qualified A/C technician.  Do you get controlled normal heat air velocity and then low A/C air velocity only at different control speeds?  Need more info to narrow down possibilities.  If just A/C and air is cold, I would have the speed control rheostat checked out.  If both Heat and Cold display same symptoms,  The blower fan could be freezing up, the culprit thus the squeaking noise.  Try operating through each phase of controls and determine if isolated to A/C or both A/C and Heat. 

Doug

Yes, the air blows cold and the heat blows hot, the flow is always controlled (sometimes it will stop blowing but only if the fan was at the highest speed) fan turns back on when i push the speed down one notch. it is just when the fan speed is pushed down to full blast it feels as if it is on low. 

Also, just looked up what a rheostat is and it seems that this controls the fan speed, is that correct ? if so where is it located ?

My fan does the same thing....I am told there is an inline fuse in the engine bay along the fire wall that is the culprit by I can't seem to find mine. I have seen pics of it but my car doesn't seem to have it. That fuse is the one that controls the high speed line of the fan.

Make sure it is a good fuse....I guess check it with an ohm meter. If that checks good there is a resistor pack that is in a/c housing on the fire wall. Not sure that that has anything to do with it...mine tested fine with a meter.

Maybe others can be a little more help than me....I can't fix mine so I doubt you want help from me. But I will be watching your progress to see if it helps my cause.

I believe this pic shows both the relay and fuse for A/C.  This pic is from a 72 model and may not be same exact location as a 70 / 71.  Note that relay is mounted on the firewall and fuse runs into the harness mounted on firewall.  I am not positive on this but is what I believe to be true.

Doug

post-458-0-03028600-1430020082_thumb.jpg

doug,  the pics are accurate. and i remember my pops messing with those to get the fan to even come on. but i dont see how i can get the fan to go faster with a fuse and a relay ? does anyone know what ind of fuse should be in there ? or if i might have the relay wired wrong ? i will work on it today since its going to be sunny after work

Not well versed on the A/C or with electrical diagrams either.  That is the high speed fan relay on firewall.  The diagram(s) I have available do not identify the amperage of the inline fuse, just shows its there.. 

As I understand it, the higher / highest speed selector reduces or stops working both with A/C and Heat, but at lower fan speeds works as expected for both?  If true, I would suspect the high speed relay.  That being said, there are a couple other relays under dash related to heater control operation and have no clue what exactly their function is or how they/it might interface with high speed relay.

I cant keep my A/C charged and high speed in particular is very weak.  Been like this since owning car.  Being in Oregon, I haven't done much about it as the windows down work as my A/C.  I plan on having it repaired someday but realize it will have to be a certified A/C technician to make the repairs.  So my issue is both air velocity of heat/cold air.

Depending on your knowledge, you may be able to measure amperage from the high speed relay with controls set at different speed settings and using OHM meter, check what relay puts out at different settings.  I wouldn't think the inline fuse has any implication as it would be expected to work each time or not work at all.  Intermittent operation of fan speeds pretty much rules the fuse out.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it. If high speed relay performs as expected through all fan settings, then the issue moves to another location of the climate control system and this is where I am lost! :coffee2:

Someone else might have had a similar issue and knows the answer.  Lets hope they find your Post and can respond to it.

Best of luck researching this problem.  If anything comes up that might be useful, I will sure let you know.

Doug   

Hey guys im out here doing trial and error. And realize a lot of air is blowing out from behind the a/c box between it and the firewall(I'm sure that's the fan right?) Is this normal or could this be where all my air is going ?

And does anyone know what wires go where on the relay ? I have one prong that is hot with the ignition off and nothing is hooked to it.

What does the heater/A/C ducting look like?  With age, these tend to deteriorate and allow that forced air out between the ducting joints instead of through to the vents.

No that loss of air between A/C box and Firewall is not normal.  I know the A/C box is supposed to be sealed against the Firewall.  I am not entirely sure but I think I remember a door that opened and closed in the assembly housing the heater core inside the Cabin on passenger side.  Fan air flows into it and is distributed to cabin vents via the ducting.  If door doesn't open, no air passes through.  I kind of think air simply pushes it open when fan blows and automatically closed when air shut off, again not certain.

But still not enough info, just speculation at this point.  Need to 1st determine what the main culprit is.  Is it low air velocity at all settings, some settings or possibly not really the problem but just the symptom of a related mechanical malfunction.  If controls operate correctly regardless of control setting(s) if/or A/C/Heater, the problem is elsewhere and again, I would start at that cabin heater core compartment, removing the vent hose and see what kind of flow I am getting out of the box with Fan at full velocity..

One of those wires from the relay I believe goes to the Fan.  I don't have my manual handy so cant pinpoint the wires or colors from the relay.

I have a pic of the 1970 A/C electrical diagram but is different than the 72 Model.  I added a pic just so you have some info to look at. 

Doug  

post-458-0-33168700-1430097490_thumb.jpg