speedometer gears

I don't really have any knowledge of speedometers other than disconnecting the cables. I changed my rear end ratio in my 71 from 2.73 to 3.42, 12 bolt posi on a 350/350th car. Now I'm going 72 mph on the speedo when I'm doing 55. How do I correct or calibrate my speedo? Thanks.

Ok, Andreas posted a site on an earlier post which pretty much explained the process. Doesn't sound too complicated providing you don't have to change the internal gear in the tailshaft. ANYWAY, has anyone here changed ratios from 2.73 to 3.42 on a TH350, and how many teeth did your new speedo gear have to have?

Pyro

I went from a 2.73 to a 3.36 and took my car to a shop that had a set of speed calibrated rollers. They went to a light blue 45 tooth which I think was the largest they could get and got the speedo within 2 mph at 55/70 and at 90 it was off by 3 mph. The odometer was off by 1/10 of a mile and they said to get it right on they would have to change the drive gear in the tailshaft so I just left that alone. Hope this helps as a starting point for ya.

David

This should answer all your questions:

http://members.core.com/~faldrich/speedo.htm

smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

newsig.jpg

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

There's definitely a noticable change in launch and acceleration. I'm running 2500-2600 rpm at 55mph. Not bad at all. I debated over 3.42's or 3.55's. I don't think it would have made a tremendous difference either way.

The car already had a 12 bolt, but I added a posi. I used Strange gears and an Eaton posi. Go to "gears are us", do a search, I don't know their web address. I did a lot of shopping and they had the best price anywhere. You'll need a posi, gears, and a master bearing kit. Plus you'll need a couple hundred bucks for the install. Don't have the total of what I spent right off hand.

• 2 months later...

pyro, this would be a guess ,but i would say you would need to swap the gear at the end of the cable to about 4 more teeth,more teeth on the cable gear slows down the speedo .(if i remember correctly)that gear is about 9.00 through chevy.iwould try that for the 9.00. gene

• 2 weeks later...