Fan decision

vince

So I need to do something about my cooling system. The summer months are kind of tough on the Monte. The factory system works fine while the car is running down the road with the temperature around 180,190.the problem is when I stopped at a traffic light for a long time or a drive thru window. The temperature rises up to 220.

I recently bought a mark 8 fan from the you pull it yard, today and I tested and one of The Speed's is bad, in addation I was a little bumbed because it's too big to fit in the stock shroud.

Question is will the taurus fan fit in the stock shroud? Or will a thermal cluch fan do the job? I really would like to keep fan shroud.

By the way I'm running a 180 t stat. And the 350 it's pretty much stock with exception of headers, intake and alternator.

My 72 wit a small block also heats up when stuck in traffic. The only time mine did that ws going thru Columbus OH two years ago on my way to Carlisle. It runs a lot cooler otherwise. I have a stock type clutch fan and 5 or 6 blade fan. I think I may be running a 180 degree stat but I may have changed it out to a 160.

Vincent tell us what the current cooling system is, is it a clutch fan or is it a flex fan? I gave my cooling information to some on Facebook a few weeks again and was asked why run both elec fans and clutch fan. I have a clutch that is good from stop and go traffic mounted on a 6 blade fan, and then going down the highway I have dual Flex a lite fan setup mounted to the radiator that came as a replacement part for a 93-95 1500 pickup, that comes on at 200 degrees with the tstat opening at 180 degrees. Running from the hotel to the fair ground at Carlisle two years ago we saw a temp of 190 degrees running on 81 and in the town of Carlisle which I was happy to see. Once on the fair grounds or at the hotel the elec fans would run until the radiator was cool.

The fan I have now is a fixed to the water pump, I think it's a 5 or 7 blade.

I would be interested in seeing that face book post.

Larry: What is the diameter of the clutch fan your running?

It is hard to get a real accurate measurement due to the shroud but I came up with 7 1/4" and about an 18" fan. I know this fan is a little than the non clutch I replaced. A friend gave me a fan he took of of his Monte when he went electric but it was hitting the shroud and there was so little clearance I could not get everything adjusted so just went with a 1/4" smaller fan.

Vincent I found the post on Facebook its in the 1970-72 First Generation Chevy Monte Carlos  group for April 4th. here is my part of the post This is my setup for my big block. Stock shroud with a clutch fan for low speeds then dual 12" elec fans against the radiator runs water and trans temp at 195°.004-16.jpg

Vince here is a few picture of my shroud it's only cut on one side, both fans are covered by shroud with maybe 10% of the drivers fan being uncovered. The passenager side the side sits a 1/2" to 1" off the top of the radiator but touches the bottom. The elec fans themselves have a rubber seal the site against the radiator. post-26-0-80026400-1430829716_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-30564900-1430829750_thumb.jpg

Hey Vince,

I still have the old school setup but with a aluminum 2 core radiator, Hayden 2747 fan clutch, Stewart Stage II aluminum water pump, Autozone 15356 160 degree t-stat that is drilled, factory seven blade fan and shroud. Radiator is filled with deionized water and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. No A/C.

During Drag Week 2013, the part of the country we were in was experiencing a terrible heatwave. Daily temps were in the high 90's and hit 100+ on a couple of days. My temps stayed between 175-180 while cruising at 65 mph and even in heavy traffic. At night they would drop down to 170 or just below. 

Nothing against e-fan setups but this cooling system has worked great for me and my engine combo. Also I haven't slung a belt at the track yet. 

David