Power windows sluggish/stick/stuck. Rebuild or buy rebuilt?

MC1970U

The right front window only works when the weather turns dry. During the rainy season it just stops working but a couple weeks into warmer/dryer weather it starts working again?

The left rear was sluggish and really slowed about a quarter way up to where I would have to either help it up manually or run up the engine rpms. The other day it stuck in the down position and would not lift any higher then about a half of a inch. Even with me trying to pull it up manually and/or running up the rpms I can not get it any higher than about two inches.  

Thinking about what the best approach to this would be and thought I would ask before taking things apart? It looks like what's available for motors are rebuilds and I was wondering if I should buy them or try rebuilding them myself.

I have read quite a few links, several are broken, regarding the topic but looking for any new info before I start? All my window tracks/gears and all have been thoroughly greased during interior restoration but that didn't have the slightest effect on the problems.

Thanks,

Oregon MC

Oregon there could be dry grease within the motor it self. When you are putting the windows up are you doing it from the drivers side control or each window? The wire itself could be breaking down losing the signal to the motor. I know with my power windows I do see the slowness in the quarter window more the the other windows. Also do you notice if your windows work with the door open or does it have to be closed for them to work.

The performance is the same, in the instance of the one quarter not at all, whether I am using any of the switch's from front or rear and whether the doors are opened or closed. In other words the problem is consistent regardless of door position or switched used. Hope that helps you to help me :) 

I think these are the original motors. Besides cleaning and greasing the motors could there be more wrong with them? 

Thanks for the help,

OregonMC

I'm betting that you can solve all of your factory power window performance problems, but you may have to check and rework/rebuild nearly every part of the system to do it.

My '70 SS came with factory power windows, but they performed poorly.  One would only roll up if the engine was running and reved up pretty good - suggesting a weak power circuit (wiring and/or switch).  Have you noticed any difference in any of your window's operation if the engine is running or not?  If so, I strongly suggest you refurbish the switches before tearing the door panels off, especially if you have already had the panels off and generously lubricated ALL of the tracks, wheels and guide rails. (If not, you'll probably want to do that next.)  For now, you can carefully remove the four individual switches (driver's gang and three singles) and completely refurbish them by cleaning all of their connector pins and contact points.  Be sure to also check for a clean and tight connection of the master power wire to your fuse panel  I made a photo journal of how I did this that you can find at this link: http://s912.photobucket.com/user/dbengtson4/library/Power%20Windows%20and%20Door%20Locks/Refurbishing%20Power%20Window%20Regulators%20and%20Switches 

BTW, all of the comments/instructions are in the captions below each of the photos in the album so be sure to scroll down as you go through the photos in sequence.

Once you refurbish and re-install the switches, test the operation of all the windows.  If they are still sluggish, the next step is to remove the door panels so you can check the wiring for continuity and insulation cuts/breaks.  Also reach down inside and unplug the connectors to the regulators, clean them and make sure they are plugged in securely.  Now is the time to generously lube all of the moving parts - tracks, wheels and guide rails - if you haven't already done so.  Now test the unit again.  If you still have sluggish operation, there still a couple of possibilities.  The power window relay could be bad or going bad, although usually nothing will work at all or only intermittently if the relay is bad.  It is well hidden inside the cowl behind the driver's kick panel - a real pita to get to and replace.

The more likely possibility is that the grease in the regulator gear boxes has hardened and gummed everything up so badly that normal power to the regulator motors no longer can overcome the friction.  This is where you will need to remove the regulators from the doors and rebuild them by digging/scraping the old grease out and replacing it with a good lithium grease.  This operation is also covered in the photo journal above.  I refurbished a complete set of used regulators before I installed them in my '70 4-speed and those windows operate much faster and smoother than the original regulators in my SS because I have not refurbished them yet.

Power windows are simply an electro-mechanical system and will only perform as good as their weakest link so you have to check and address every part of the system.  If you do, however, I can almost assure you that you will be amazed at the difference - I certainly have been. Good luck. 

Dennis,

Great photo journal and how to link. A great tool for even the most seasoned veteran. THE STEP BY STEP.. HIGHLY DETAILED. Lots of info there.. thanks for posting that for us to follow along. 959052286.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...