ENGINE - coolant temp

ejw71

Genally my 71 350/350 runs at 190 degrees.

However, sometimes the gauge reads 225 degrees. Motor runs fine and coolant exits overflow hose upon shut down and then temp go to 250 degrees. Hotter weather effects a little but not much. When running at 225 it runs as good as when temp is 190. Changing thermo had no effect. It is an A/C car (no working) but has a two core radiator. Didn't these have a three core? Thanks, Ed

hey there ed if your wanting to make it cooler and less likely to overheat and save the life span of your engine i would suggust going to either a three or four core radiator "if you dont mind not keeping it 100 percent original" then go with a 4 core be cool radiator. or you could switch to a higher gph water pump from edelbrock or whichever you prefer that should bring your temp down a bit also check to see if the fan clutch "if you have one" is working properly if not that could also be a reason on your hot car so to say

------------------

hmmmm the sound of wrenches turning and a air impact gun going... slowly out from the garage emerges a luxury muscle car that is anything but... it is.. the monte carlo with a new edelbrock performer rpm power package and new 350 block stroked.

Lets see,

My Monte has a single row aluminum radiator (from an 89 IROC) and a 160 degree thermostat. Even in the hottest weather, it does not run over 190 degrees. Then again, it also has a lot of oil deflector plates in the engine and an extra tranny cooler... And no A/C...

Check into changing to a lower degree thermostat before yanking the radiator... I know Lon had very good experience changing to a 160 thermo and so did I... biggrin.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

---------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to back flush the cooling system,

add a 160 degree thermostat along with fresh antifreeze. If that doesn't cure the problem I'll install a larger aftermarket radiator.

------------------

'71 Black 350/350

'72 Silver BB/400 project

'85 Black SS 305/2004R

My monte was running 210-220 and all I had to do was change out my 190 degree thermostat with a 160 and now she runs about 180 at all times!

My Chevelle has a 396 big block with Edelbrock aluminum heads and a BE COOL aluminum radiator and she runs 190 no matter what the weather or driving conditions. She has a flex fan without a fan clutch.

Hope this helps.

Lon

• 2 weeks later...

My monte has a 160 degree thermostat and 3-core radiator no-air cond., electric fan helping the stock fan and it still runs about 210-215 degrees,I'm puzzled

------------------

MCman70

i had mine out today in 80 degree chicago weather, electric fan (didn't turn it on once!),180 degree thermostat, no engine mounted fan. while cruising, 183 degrees

4-row copper-brass radiator, edelbrock victor water pump, 16 pound radiator cap.