Need cleaning expertise...

Hey guys...

Just got my car painted and i've got some overspray in my engine compartment. The overspray is really just some paint dust that settled and adhered to the engine and bay. In other words, it will not just dust off!! I thought about having it steam cleaned or taking it to the local coin wash and spraying it...i don't know. Is there some kind of cleaner I can spray on then rinse off that will take this paint dust off my engine, firewall, inner fenders, etc (like a GUNK type product for the whole engine compartment)?? HELP!!

Any and all suggestions and experiences will be greatly appreciated...Thanks In Advance, Chuck

I have used paint thinner to remove paint overspray. If I were you, I would test it in a spot than isn't noticeable first.

Rob

I guess what i'm trying to say is, this light coating of paint dust is ALL OVER the motor and engine compartment cry . I was hoping there may be a way to get some of it off before I get down to the 'elbow grease' stage. Has anyone had any luck with a foam cleaner or something of that nature??

If that is a new paint job, then you should be careful not to get stuff that is too powerfull on it, such as spray engine cleaner at car washes ect. You could dammage it. Even waxes will wash of by doing this. I think that mineral spirits on a rag will do the job and it may not be that difficult.

I agree, those do it yourself car washes use some harsh detergents that could stain your new paint. Mineral spirts sounds like a good idea. I use a good wax and grease remover (DX330) from the auto paint supply house. It will take off the over spray (light stuff only) and won't harm your new paint.

Steve