AUTO BODY REPAIR - To weld or to rivet?

McCall72

Has anyone ever installed patch panels on the lower rockers behind the front wheels? If so would you recommend welding them on or is it ok to rivet them on?

If welding is an option for you I would weld. I would weld over rivit any day. Welding would be a more rigid fit and I would think it would be less bondo to finish off if done properly.

Rob

I have to do this someday also i have had the patch for over a year but never installed it yet....anyhow if you weld it it will be better than rivets but you put in a lot of heat and it will want to warp.......i dono anything about the adhesive but i think it may be worth looking into with as advanced chemistry as we have today it is possible for them to make something that might bond it nearly as well as welding.....the only draw back i see to the adhesive would be that it might be tricky to get it to bond to the surface of the metal. i would also get a panel flanging tool if you do not have on this makes it a lot easier to do patches........

FUSOR is a product that a lot of body shops use. it has been approved my the big three for repairs. it is said to be stronger than a spot weld. a weld can invite rust from the back side. i have used this adhesive several times. when repairing hail damage on the tops of some extended cab trucks. there is a sound deadening panel that we remove by drilling out the spotwelds, then clean both surfaces down to bear metal and apply with a caulk gun with mixing tips. alot of times i have clamped with vise grips or i have put in a few pop rivits just to hold while it sets up. i have heard stories of guys gluing two steel bumpers together as a joke. they had to remove the bumpers to get the trucks apart. you should be able to get it at a NAPA store.

[This message has been edited by mrcash (edited 02-27-2001).]

Thanks for all of your helpful information everyone! I think I will check out NAPA and see if they have that FUSOR adheshive.

------------------

A.N. McCall

1972 Monte Carlo

"Monte Carlo. There is no substitute."