got to be the most moronic idea ever....help.....

so i torque my heads down for my big block, thinking im gonna get it going in the next couple days, i than go ahead and put some of the blue gasket **** on my intake gaskets and put them on the heads, i decide i should probably put the bolts on so the gasket doesnt slide down and get sealed out of place, because im not ready to put the manifold back on yet. so anyway, as my luck would have it, i accedently drop 2 intake bolts into the heads, one into the drivers side intake port and one into the passanger's side water passage. i figure it's a good idea to try and get the one out of the intake right now, so i figure some chewing gum on an old pushrod should do the trick.....anywho, point of the story, i now have a loose bolt and some wrigleys on my brand new intake valve. wonderful. im gonna look like a major dumbass when i show up to the machince shop tomarrow with chewing gum on the valve.

anyway, how would i go about getting the one in the water passage? it fell into the far back passage on the pass. side.

-dumbass of the month.

Hmmmmm....best suggesting I can offer on that is look at it like one of those maddening ball bearing puzzles. Move, lilt, roll shake etc the head until the bolt falls out. After all, it went in there, right? It may require some type of 3 axis jig or something, since I suspect the head is pretty heavy. Not something you wanna be holding over your head and shaking about. smile.gif

getting the bolt out isnt the problem. im just gonna shake that out and take off the valve and clean the gum out. what i really need to know is how to get the bolt out of the water passage. i assume it goes all the way into the block?

How about a magnet on a stick? Or the flexable claw. If it went that far down. Well, it will be one thouroghly boiled/clean bolt the next time you rebuild the engine. I will never travel throughout the engine block. I don't think it will hurt anything. It may at some point come back up the passage and find it's way to the waterneck(highly doubtfull). Flip the car over and hope it comes out. Or worst case senario, pull the engine out , flip it over , bolt falls out, reinstall engine.

Fred

If the bolt is not visible its gonna be hard too do. I agree that the bolt will more than likly rest where it is at (bottom of block)

As far as the gum goes, if it fell down the exhaust side leave it there. When car starts worse case will be a big bubble out of the tail pipe smile.gif But really you may try to see if it will harden by sitting over night and then go after it with a long pick like a denisist uses.

You probably used a magnet several times. Can't get to it? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It ain't go'n anywhere. Probably no worse than a big chunk of casting flag. Unretrievable? I'd leave it versus pull'n motor. Yea, it would always bug me too, knowing it's still in there. Too bad motors don't take a crap like animals, it would just pass through the system. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4/10bolt, Branson participant

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project Darkest of Dark Green Metallics/GenIII346LS1/4L65E/12bolt posi

71Monte-1.jpg

The holes in the head gasket aren't big enough to let an intake bolt go through, are they? Anyway, that sucks. I have no problem with the chewing gum (intake or exhaust), but knowing that bolt is in there would drive me nuts. I would have to get the darn thing out. Even if I could convince myself that it couldn't do any harm, it would still bug me.

i took the head off and took the valve out to get the chewing gum and bolt out of the intake port, but the bolt in the coolant passage remains, and im starting to let it go. i just want the goddamn thing to run again so i really dont give a **** if it aint gonna do no harm. no use worrying about something that isnt gonna cause any effect at all.

While my new engine was in the car, I dropped a stainless washer in the manifold. Wouldn't you know it, it fell down the one plenium that had the valve open. I could have sworn that maybee it went down the back of the engine. I later pulled a muffler for some reason. Something was rattling inside. Guess what I found. Had it been a bolt, I would have had to take the head off. I later pulled a plug and found it dammaged.

Quote:
Originally posted by RCR001:
OK....one more idea (Just in case you needed one) Magnet on a string, go fishin.It went in so it will come out... RCR

I like the idea of using a magnet but I think it is going to have to be on a flexible shaft so it will snake into the area where the bolt is. The only problem with using a magnet on a string would be getting the magnet down to the bolt if it is way down into the block. Without the magnet on something rigid it will keep sticking to the block and will not free fall down into the block where the bolt may be.
Now to encorporate two ideas into one. If you don't have a magnet on a flexible shaft or if you can't find one, you can usually find the gripper fingers with a flexible shaft. You could use the above suggestion of a magnet on a string but use the flexible shaft gripper fingers to fish the magnet down into the block and then use the string to pull it out.
What a great group we have here with all these suggestions.
I also agree with the suggestion that you don't want to pull the engine just for this but I think it was Fred who suggested to turn the car over and shake that sucker out and I like that suggestion.
Rob

------------------

To access my website click on the picture or link below.

images.ca..."

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here