Removing oil pan in car

Leghome

I have found all of my oil leaks and now need to drop the oil pan. I was going to raise the engine by putting a block of wood under the harmonic balancer but there is the problem of the tongue sticking out from the frame keeping me from doing that. I had thought about using an engine hoist but then the legs from said hoist would make it hard to get under the car. A friend suggested using short ram on a porta power which will work if the ran is short enough. Another thought I had was raise engine with jack and a board under oil pan then blocking it up with a block of wood between balance and frame tongue. What are some other options to get his done?

Larry I did the engine hoist on a big block. Depending on how high you have the car sitting in jack stands you should be able to go under at the side of the car. When I did the big block I took all the bolts out first and worked the pan lose. When I took the through motor mount bolts out the pan slide right out as I was only lifting the front of the motor.

Use a block of wood under the oil pan and a floor jack to lift it. Do not lift by jacking up on the harmonic balancer. Make sure you remove your distributor cap or it could hit the firewall and break it. If I remember correctly I put the motor mount through bolts back in the engine side of the mount and had a small piece of wood between it and the frame mount. You'll need to rotate the crankshaft to get the throws up high enough to get the pan out. 

• Like 1

Ditto!! never on the balancer. It can be done inside the engine bay. I did mine that way, just after I had the trans. out . I had the front and rear of car on jack stands. The front up higher then the rear. the hoist under the car(you will be surprised how much room you have for it) and raised it up higher then the mounts,then rested it on 2x4's too.You should have enough room to remove that pan. I will let you know that clear sealer will work well after you put the gaskets back on. then you can cover it all with paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the pan off early this morning and then Glendia decided we needed to go and visit Alissa our granddaughter. Attached are the reason for the pan leakage. That is a very good reason that the Monte when I put the pedal to the metal I looked like a mosquito fogger.

post-785-0-49126900-1457305929_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-25733700-1457305972_thumb.jpg

The guy that rebuilt the motor put everything on it but the carb, torque converter, headers, dist and water pump. A very big oversight to my way of thinking. Oh well the engine does run great except for the oil leak that the new one pc. gasket will fix.