RESTORERS - black paint on rockers

well im planing on painting my car this spring and i found some black paint on the rockers i what i would like to know is how far along the rocker it goes. if it goes to the sill plates? and if the black runs under the trim on the rear quters? thanks

chris

Going by memory,because my 71 is in a barn 8 miles from home. The black on the rockers goes to the sill plates and no black on the rear quarters. Mine is a repaint and might be wrong. Fred.

I'm pretty sure that the black actually goes under the sill plate as well as covers the complete rocker, from the top of the rocker molding down, as well as runs from "tire to tire". So yes it goes on part of the quarter, but I don't think it covers the part of the quarter that attaches to the rocker at the bottom (seen when you open the door)

hope this makes sense.

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

Maybe these will help, I don't believe that the jams have ever been repainted on this car.

Please ignore the "funky' carpet, soon to be replaced with the correct black!

yu66758.jpg

tm70940.jpg

tn92389.jpg

tp26950.jpg

------------------

Dave C.

ty77655.jpg

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 01-07-2001).]

The black paint on my 71 Monte is exactly as shown in the pics. I am pretty sure that it is original... smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

The black paint on my 71 Monte is exactly as shown in the pics above. I am pretty sure that it is original... smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

Kevin - Any chance we could get these pictures put on the site permanently? I am sure this will come up again and the photos are a great reference.

------------------

Dave Kase

"Desmo888"

'70 SS454

Yes, that could be arranged. I have a lot of work to do on the site. Many new pics for the photo album and such. This would be good for the tech info section. Now, anyone who has black paint on the rockers, tell me where your car was built and what year it is. thanks

Kevin my car is a 70 and produced in VanNuys-GMAD. It also came with the black rockers painted up into door sills /under sill plate . 13857 OL 124784 mike

no, not all of them were like that. My 70 did not but my 72 did. My guess is that certain plants did it differently. Or maybe certain plants at certain build dates? Mine is a 70 built in atlanta built in June of 70. It has body color paint on the rockers (black cherry) and since it has a late build date for a 70 model, it has a non-halo style top like all 71's and 72's had. It is also rumored that late built 70's possibly had 71 style hood ornaments.