Converter/Gear combination

awhitlow0869

I would like some opinions about my 72 Monte.

I currently have a 350 motor (we believe to be bored .30 over), with a TH350 transmission that has a 1200 stall converter. Right now I'm in 3rd gear by the time I hit 30mph, I'm turning 3,000 rpm at 60mph. (all the while watching the gas gauge drop). I was told by the previous owner that the rear is a 3.73 (series 3).

I want to change the stall and dropping the gears down.  

What combination do you think I should go with?  I can't afford to go "top of the line", but I don't want to go "cheap" either.  

Ex: what stall, what gear ratio, which brand converter/gears etc.   Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

My opinion, put a overdrive transmission in it. A 200-r4 would be a great addition to it. mine was a turbo 350 with a 3:42 ratio 10 bolt post traction.  70 mph at 3000 rpm, O.D. transmission 200-4 ,dropped it to 2000 rpm. put it back into 3rd and right back to the 3000 rpm. the change dollar wise was about $1,500.00 with converter (2000 stall) ,but you get a warranty with the transmission. to check your gear  ratio, take the cover of the rear end, count the pinion gear teeth, then the ring gear and divide and that will give you the ratio. I believe that it is a 3:73. That gear will work well with the overdrive transmission. You could go with 700r4 but the first gear ratio would hurt you.

I'm trying to keep the car as close to original as possible so I don't want to change the tranny.  Really just looking to change the stall.  I have looked into the gears and I do currently have a 3.73 rear in the car.  I'm looking for a daily driver combination.  Although I know it's got one heck of a cam in the car because it's got one heck of a lop to it in gear.  Going to call the previous owner and see if he has the paperwork on the motor rebuild so I know what cam is in the car. 

Anmette if you are looking to make it a daily driver change the trans for an overdrive trans either a 200-r4 or a 700-r4. Keeping the 3.73 and changing the stall you will still see high RPM's and the gas mileage will be he same. The extra gear in the OD will drop your RPM's down to at least 2500RPM which will keep your stall in its operation sweet spot. Being a 1200 stall that is almost like a stock convertor.