INTERIOR - here is the leak?

For the past few days, we've been gettin hit with some rain. My Monte is sitting in the driveway taking the abuse from mother nature. Everytime I look inside after it rains, there is water on the floor baord. I do have a hole in the passenger side fender but I put duct tape over it to keep the water out. Is there another way that the water is getting in there? I want to fix this before it creates a hole. I already have a hole on the driver's side, so I don't need anymore.

It sounds to me like it is time to seal the front windshield. I used to have the same problem. The down side to this is for best results you need to pull the glass, repair any rust, and then reseal it.

------------------

We who are truly brave will never live in fear...The Rock

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

I recall having a similar problem. Lift up the hood, and where the fender, the firewall, and the windshield all seem to meet there is a piece of weatherstripping. This area is kind of between the hood spring and windshield. This weatherstripping was installed with metal fasteners through this area. I seem to recall having one of those holes leak at one time. Take a close look there, and let us know how you made out.

Charlie

I recall that when I was looking for a Monte Carlo to buy that one of the things to look for was a leaky front windshield on the passenger side. It seemed that this was a common problem. I don't know the reasons behind it though.

Allen

Another potential source I found when I worked on my dash is that thee is a penetration and grommet on the passenger side firewall. On mine the grommet is kinda perished and was not in the hole.

Its been raining here so luckily I made it home from work in time to see where the leak is. It was coming from under the kick panel so I pulled the panel off to get a better look. I have the panels with the vents. I noticed that there was some water on the part of the panel that goes into the vent. I guess it could be a number of areas but at least now I know its not getting in through the hole in the fender. Is removing the windshield a hard job, as well as replacing the seals? I just wish the rain would stop already. The last thing I need is another hole! smile.gif

Now to top everything else off, I have a leak on the driver's side! I believe this one is coming from the top of the windshield. There is a small gap between the vinyl top and the chrome piece on the windshield. Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

I've had a leak on the driver's side of my 70 monte for years which I can't seem to fix. Mine drips down on the driver's side kick panel from above. I had the windshield replaced a few years ago and this did not solve the problem. Luckily mine doesn't leak much but I wish I could figure it out.

Wayne

------------------

70 monte carlo, Fathom blue, 396/400 trans 12 bolt rear end. Car has these options: Blue cloth bench interior, tilt steering, fiber optic windshield washer monitor, underhood, trunk, underdash, ashtray, and glove box lights. Rally wheels, delux seatbelts, and a remote control outside rearview mirror. Add ons: Factory tach and gauge cluster, and rearview mirror w/map light. Used to have vinyl top.

WTD.....i would look at the cowl for a joint which needs to be cleaned and resealed. another possible site is in the cowl air plenum .

it seems to me there is a body joint just inside of the fender /hood opening . you may need to remove the chrome piece thats at the bottom of windshield even to find this leak.

good luck

mike

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a nasty storm come through on Friday. They called it a macro burst but more like a tornado. Houses within the area were damaged, trees uprooted, a ride at a local park collapsed, and just whole bunch of other damage. Despite the heavy rain, there was very little water to be found in the car. I put tape on both front corners of roof. I noticed there was a small gap between the vinyl top and windshield chrome piece. I think its safe to assume that this is the area where the water was getting in.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by monteguy:
I put tape on both front corners of roof. I noticed there was a small gap between the vinyl top and windshield chrome piece. I think its safe to assume that this is the area where the water was getting in. [/b]</font>

This may the entry points, but then the water is most likely getting under the old windshield seal. This means that you will have to remove the windshield, get rid of any rust and start over with new seals. This is a common problem with many cars of that era. Test these areas using a hose with a nozzel on it.

------------------
George Lines

I kind of figured that I would have to replace the seal. I'll try the garden hose trick to make sure that the water is getting in through there and not somewhere else.

Last night we had a good bit of rain come through. There was a good amount of water on the dirver's side. I figured out that its getting in through the door. There was water running down the front, where the fender meets the door. The panel was also wet. Guess I'll have to replace the seal around that area.

• 4 months later...

I just got my windshield replaced with some PPG glass. Looks real good except from the inside looking out the furthest passenger side edge from the driver's side, I see a little distortion. Don't remember seeing it before, butwould'nt have paid attention.

WHY DOES A WINDSHIELD LEAK?

Well, in my case, I watched the guy install it. As he cut the (factory) windshield out and removed it (thanks to a 24 inch crack), he pointed out that I have rust on the pinch weld. It was not scaling but was enough rust that the surface was powder not metal. Well the adhesive holding down the windshield no longer has anything to grab onto. The only way to perfectly fix it is to get a body shop (or do it yourself) to patiently remove and treat that rust. I thought of POR-15'ing it and then covering with fiberglass, which (I blieve) the 3m adhesives can adhere to fine.

There was rust in the top corner by the driver and by the passenger. He treated it with a primer (also by 3m, in prep for the 3m adhesive), which helps fill small scratches, etc., after scraping it a bit with his scraper. Very few people ever look there to find a leak. If your car doesn't need to be beautiful, go buy some Silicone II (GREAT STUFF), and put a small bead above those corners. However it will continue to leak (and mine eventually will also), until the rust is stopped. Now, since a weld oxidizes metal, there is NO way to really absolutely get rid of rust along a weld but you can do a lot to slow it down.

There's my 3 cents.

Will

This was my windshield before I got it fixed:

http://www.aaronsmontecarlo.50megs.com/images/monte113.jpg

The water would come in and run down the inside of the windshield interior pillar and drip out the bottom. The previous owner tried to seal it by putting stuff in the crack between the chrome trim and the body at the top corner. This did not work at all. See my body shop photos on my web site for the after pics.

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site \&q...pg\"

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 10-10-2002).]

Tomcatt, I just removed a windshield from a parts car, so offering this info. There is a tool avaiable at parts stores to use in removing windshield chrome. Use a screw driver and you'll have bent chrome. Also obtain a tool (handle and wire)to cut through the old seal. Then sitting in front seat use your feet to very slowly push windshiel out at top. There will probably be several rusted areas or holes. Use POR15 product to fix this. If it's a major rusted area new metal can be welded in. Do it right and it'll last for decades. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E