400 turbo detent switch questions

wtd

I finally got the detent switch, bracket, and pedal assembly in the car. I have a couple of questions

1. the switch has two posts coming off of it. Does it matter which wire goes to which post? One is a hot wire and one goes down to the tranny.

2. Exactly when is the switch supposed to kick in? When the pedal is floored?

3. How much does the switch have to move before it kicks down the tranny?

I'm still not sure if I have the correct accelerator cable so I don't know if my pedal is going down far enough and its moving the switch enough. Thanks for any input.

Wayne

Well, the wires can be hooked whatever way and it will work fine. The switch just closes and lets power run through it, so it will work either way.

As for the adjustment, when the pedal is all the way down on the floor, the switch should be just short of bottoming out. That way the pedal and the carb can reach full throttle without the switch stopping it short. Mine looks as if it contacts and starts sliding the switch at about the same time that the throttle starts opening the secondaries, but it was hard to tell from under the dash.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to do some adjusting somehow because my switch is nowhere close to being bottomed out when the accelerator pedal is floored. I loosened the bolt and slid the switch up as much as it will go. I probably don't have the right accelerator cable. The one thats on it now is one I bought from Year One and is supposed to be for a BB car. It doesn't fit very well from the firewall to the bracket on the carb. Its too long. I had a shorter cable that fit fine from the firewall to the carb bracket but it was too short from the firewall to the gas pedal because the switch is not even getting activated when the pedal is all of the way down. Thanks for the input.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I had a similar problem when I put my th400 in. However, I just wanted mine to downshift sooner, so I simply put a short peice of rubber hose over the lever on the switch where it contacts with the pedal. That shortened the distance between the switch and pedal. It worked great and has been on for about 4 years now. Hope that helps.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same kind of switch. The plunger on my switch is fixed and cannot come out any further. The switch that I'm talking about is back behind the gas pedal. Are you talking about the one up by the carb that is used on some cars?.

Wayne