Need help choosing and Edelbrock Carb for 454

71monteSS

I am not sure what cfm I should get for my stock 71 454. I called Edelbrock and the recommended the 650cfm. I thought the car came with a Rochester 750cfm.

Is a 650cfm going to be to small?

The formula for choosing a carb indicates a 650cfm should be fine. Any thoughts or experiences with Edelbrock carbs would be greatly appreciated.

I have experimented considerably with both a 650 AVS Thunderer and a 750 performer on my modified 408.  The 650 is much better behaved with the Edlebrock Torker II single plane manifold, but seems to "lay over" on the top end.  The 750 has zero breathing problems but is downright clumsy at low rpm launch (esp with a 4 speed).  I finally solved both problems with a 750 AED which has far superior idle and low speed metering and a very strong mechanical secondary. It cost more than a stock Holley and much more than a 750 Edelbrock but it seems to be the answer for my situation.

I plan to mount the 750 Performer on my stock SS 454 this summer (using a spreadbore adapter plate) while I rebuild the stock Q-jet.  Frankly, I'll be rather surprised if the 750 Edlebrock doesn't perform just fine with the stock dual plane manifold - we'll see.

If your 454 is stock and you are not going to be flogging it, the 650 AVS might be better than the 750 Performer for normal driving, IMO.  Both are easily tunable across a wide range from economy to street performance.  Just get the correct jet/rod/spring kit for your specific carb from Edelbrock and download their instruction manual with tuning grid options.  Read it thoroughly and have fun tuning your Eddy to the level you want.  I have some fairly extensive jet/rod combination spreadsheets for both carbs if you're ever interested.

• 5 months later...

I tried running the 1411 750 Edelbrock on the BB 396 in my 70 and could never get it to run right and I bought it brand new.  It always had a stumble off idle.  I then bought a new Edelbrock Quadrajet that they were making at the time and the car ran great.  I'm still running this carb today.  I used to run the Edelbrock 1406 600cfm on the 350 that used to be in the car and I could never get it to run right either and I bought this carb new as well.  I'm not a fan of the Edelbrock Performer carbs.

Wayne

I bought a Edlebrock 1406 for my 350 and it ran perfectly out of the box. Only a few minor adjustments. It replaced a Holly dual line that never ran worth a hoot. Found out later that the Holley had a bent base plate so it was sucking air making it stumble badly on acceleration.