Ignitor vs. Distributor

FullMonte

Since I will be replacing the manifold and installing a 4 bbl carb, I will replace the old stock points. Conventional wisdom is..."go with an HEI." Pertronix tech help said go with Ignitor II and a new coil. It will fit in the old distributor. Is this an effective, reasonable option, or should I spring for the extra $$ and go for a new distributor?

George

My Monte ran the older Ignitor I for about a year without a flaw. Did not need a new coil. Installs in less than 15 minutes.... smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

newsig.jpg

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

Hey Hey

I change mine to a stock HEI I think I payed around 10.00 for the HEI and I fell for the kit were they sent you a six gauge wire(I am not sure on the size of the wire) and the two ends one for the HEI and the other for the fuse block that was 50 + shipping oh well livew and learn

Dave

------------------

http://datadave49.tripod.com/ </a>

http://members.cardomain.com/datadave49

354153_27.jpg

354153_30.jpg

i installed the performax 1 in my dads 56, summit said i needed run the flame thrower coil due to certain ohms.it ran great until my dad left the ign. key on for about 20 minutes. the performax two is suppose to have a safeguard build into it.my dad replaced the complete dist. with a rebuild mallory unilite(SMALL DIAMETER)for about 100.00. gene

I got an HEI of ebay for $20

put another $20 worth of parts into it, and had a great working hei till a missplaced hammer blow prematurely ended the dist shafts life.. (until I get some mapp gas) heh

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kc8oye:
I got an HEI of ebay for $20

put another $20 worth of parts into it, and had a great working hei till a missplaced hammer blow prematurely ended the dist shafts life.. (until I get some mapp gas) heh
</font>

If I replace my stock distributor with an HEI unit, what's the procedure to hook up the stock tach on my monte to the HEI unit. Can it be done?

just hook it up to the terminal labeled 'tach' on the hei. that's all I did for my aftermarket tach that used to be wired to my ignition coil on my TBI engine smile.gif

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnbu:

If I replace my stock distributor with an HEI unit, what's the procedure to hook up the stock tach on my monte to the HEI unit. Can it be done?

</font>